REQUIREMENTS - Central heating and hotwater upgrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house was constructed is a three-bedroom one, with a kitchen in the ground floor, three bedrooms and a bathroom I the first floor. The house is central heated with a 5-year boiler in the ground kitchen, an immersion heater and a shower pump in the first floor, and a water tank in the loft.

I would like to extend the house into the loft, and add 2 bedrooms and a bathroom. If possible I would like to remove unnecessary appliances/the water tanks to create space. I need advice:

1 – Is the immersion heater essential? Could an efficient boiler be sufficient to run 2 bathrooms?

2 – As far as I understand the large tank supplies the immersion heater and the small tank the central heating system. Are they essential or can they be removed?

3 – If there is a shower pump that can service two showers? If I move the immersion heater to the loft, where should the shower pump be placed if the bathrooms are one in the loft and the other in the first floor?

4 – Could you please suggest a boiler, immersion heater if one is essential and pump or pumps?

5 – I will also have to change the fuse box. Will any of the above require additional fuse switches?
Thank you in advance for your help

Sponsored Links
Immersion heater is part of the cylinder. Not the cylinder itself

1. No
  2. Yes and no
  3. Depends - but if you are moving cylinder to the loft, the cold water cistern will need to be moved too. It is unlikely you'll have the space. In which case you can't have a pump and will need an unvented cylinder
  4. Intergas SB24 or SB18 with Joule cylinder
  5. Probably.
  6. This is going to cost a lot more than you think.

You will need to extend the water main in 22mm or preferably 28mm to the loft to make two showers work - and this is all dependant on the water supply to the house being suitable too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back