Retaining wall idea

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to build a raised bed about 80 cm to 100cm, it will only have to retain earth a metre back as there is a lager retaining wall to next door already built behind it.

I do not want to build another wall and wondered if I could do it as per the below method, cost wise I think the below will come in marginally cheaper depending upon the cost of the wooden panelling (although cost is not driving the below).

Sink metal poles (angle iron) into concrete 50cm apart to act as the main strength for the retention. Position on the earth side of this metal meshing (as used for concrete strengthening) doubled up with a waterproof membrane. Attach wooden posts to the angle iron on the exposed side and then panel between the wooden posts (they offer no strength as the metal will be doing this). Once I have protected the wood it should not rot as it will not be in contact with the earth. I expect bulging between the metal posts although this will be hidden and will not notice.

Does this sound reasonable or a far fetched idea dreamed up after to many glasses of wine.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back