Retaining Wall Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would appreciate some observations on my design for a back garden retaining wall.

I plan to dig out a wedge of a sloped area to fit a garden office in. The retaining wall will be u-shaped - 6.5m long and 1.38 down to the new flat ground (the returns will be 3.5m long and taper from 1.38m high to zero).

If I put the bottom of the footing below the frost layer - say at 850mm, this makes the top of wall to footing 1.83m.

With a 215mm wide hollow block inner skin (filled cavities) and a 102.5mm brick outer skin I get, using the Masterseries design program, a footing of 1288 mm wide x 400 mm deep (the wall sits almost central on the footing).

For the reinforcement
Inside the blocks: vertical 10mm rebar at 400 c/c
Footing bottom face: 10mm 100 x 100mm mesh

The only thing I've yet to factor in is the soil type, I'm just using the program's defaults until I learn about soil properties. The soil is clay (I'm about to go and dig a test trench to find out what type) and the wall will be backfilled with appropriate material - need to look that bit up. To groud from the top of the wall slopes away 5 deg.

I'm worried I'm in danger of over-engineering this and any alternative design suggestions are most welcome.

Sponsored Links
I have just cut out a piece of clay to level out a barn floor, It was a miserable 12" at the back and nothing at the front. The cut edges immediately dribbled water at me and a damp puddle appeared in the centre of the barn. The ground rises a lot (6'?) in about 40 yards behind the barn. Sort of like a warning that you can have fissures in clay that are full of water which has accumalated over geological time or could be fed from active underground streams. I wonder if you should have bleed holes near the base of the wall to let this water to dribble out.
Frank

Thanks Frank,

Yes, I am definitely going to have bleed holes along the base of the wall. I've dug a trial trench and there's no sign of any water, but then the house a few metres away may be protecting it from water ingress.

Cheers

Simon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back