Retrofit Joist Hangers into Celcon / Thermalite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to do this and the heavy duty ones at Toolstation have angled/pointy top flanges. I tried hammering one into a half Celcon lying around on site and it went in a treat - nice tight fit, no cracking.

So is it OK to do this for a floor? Hammer the flange of the hanger into a Celcon rather than grind out a slot and re-point after fitting the hanger?

(see http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Con...talwork/sd2797/Heavy+Duty+Joist+Hanger/p59463 )

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Update - when the hanger was driven fully home this morning the Celcon cracked in half!

So I guess not a good idea even if strengthened by being in a wall (my test was on a loose Celcon before fitting).

So we'll grind out slots (15mm high?) and pack with strong mortar above - OK?

It looks a bit naughty to me, if the flat area of the hanger is X square mm, then the mortar just having the same area X would be of very little benefit. I might only fill in some of the bubbles so increase the active surface by 20%. I was under the impression that they had to be put on a full brick as a mounting, to increase the surface area.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back