Reversible or tilt and turn windows? GGF? Is this BS?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two quotes from local double glazing companies (both recommended to me by local people...still trying to work out who to go for a third - might even go for 4 quotes!)

I like the idea of fully reversible windows - I have tilt and turn at present ... hate water dripping off onto carpet when cleaning the outsides inside (if that makes sense) and having to take down blinds ...

One quote £7.6ishK from a salesman - they fit Rehau windows and have an independent insured 10 yr guarantee...

But he said they don't do fully reversible windows 'any more' -said there were too many problems with the seals - they don't seal as well - they just do tilt and turn...
And things have moved on and blinds can be fitted that you can leave in place with tilt and turn?
Hadn't heard of FENSA (but then found out it doesn't exist here in Scotland?!:oops: )
He told me they are not members of GGF because it is expensive to join and they would have to pass the cost on ...and that if there was a problem and it went to court someone from GGf couldn't act as a witness for me against them ...

Does this sound like B*** S***? :confused:

Other company £9.6K quote is a family firm, (and they thought I just wanted a unit replaced so I didn't get the 'real' salesman) - they would fit fully reversible (said it would be £25 per window more - total £150ish) - only do 5 yr guarantees and if they disappeared it would be worthless...but they have been trading for 30+ yrs.... and are members of GGF.... :?:

So not particularly happy with either ....
but main thing is what the salesman said about fully reversible and GGF true?

Sponsored Links
Has anyone else come across more problems with reversible windows than tilt and turn?

And is being a member of the GGF not necessarily a good thing?

Really need some advice on this...have had bad experience with badly fitted double glazing...so really cautious
and except for these things I am tempted to go with them...
unless anyone who knows better says nooooooooooo....don't touch them with a barge pole

Thanks!

My company makes Rehau. We sell far more tilt and turns than reversibles, reversibles look chunkier, you can see the hinges from the outside (because of the way they operate) and they only seal against one face instead of two (because of the way they operate)

We supply and fit but don't come as far up as fife. I wouldn't let the fact that one company is not a member of the GGF. Ask for customer references and get as many quotes as you can. Almost all of our work now comes through referrels so I would try to get people who have used the firms already before committing.

Good Luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back