Reversing an internal door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to reverse an internal door so that it opens outwards instead of inwards. The door, like so many, hangs on a pair of hinges and when closed sits against the raised centre section of the frame. Logically, one could take said door and hang it on the other side of the frame and it would sit against the other side of the raised section. So far, so good. Now comes the problem. The other side of the frame is a lot narrower than the side that the door hangs from. So much so that it will not accommodate the door. I guess that the centre section has to move. Are the jambs and head likely to each be single pieces of timber or are they likely to be a large strip with a smaller strip attached? I imagine in the case of the latter one could remove and refit said strip? In the case of the former one would have to remove said centre piece and fit a strip? What would be the best way to do this? Does this make sense? Have I lost my sanity? Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
normally the "door stops" are planted on so easy to remove with a sharp wood chisel sides first then top

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back