RF Out of SKY+ HD box to another tv = snowy picture!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please go easy on me, i'm not technical but also not a Muppet..

I have a Sky + HD box downstairs that i have connected an ordinary av (antenna wire?) wire to and run it upstairs through the attic and back down to a flat screen TV on the wall. I have linked it to a magic eye to change the channel. The problem i have is that the Sky picture has always been snowy and i cant find a way to make it any better?
1.) would it make a difference if the wire was gold tipped on each end (or is that only with SCART wires)?
2.) would it be a better picture if the cable was shorter?
3.) any better solutions? (i already have one multi room subsription and my Sky bill is £80 ish a month so don't want to pay for another).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't waste money on gold plated anything....The only real benefit is in preventing corrosion.

First thing to try is changing the Sky box RF output to a different frequency. It could be clashing with something else.

Actually, the first thing to try is to disconnect the aerial cable from the Sky aerial input socket. That way there won't be anything to clash with.

If that does the trick, use the "Taboo Channel" calculator to determine which UHF channel number to use for the Sky RF output so that there is no clash with terrestrial multiplexes.

Thank you for your help. I noticed that there was nothing plugged into the aerial Sky input. So decided to change the RF out channel instead. I changed it from channel 68 to channel 21 and it has sorted it all out.
Very happy now. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Sorry to jump on the back of this but I'm doing the same thing.
How do you change the RF out channel number please ?
Many thanks in advance.

Change it in the Installer Setup Menu.

Press [services] 401 [select]
(or [services] 001 [select] if it's a Sky+HD Digibox - you forgot to tell us.)

Then press 3 for "RF Outlets" and change it there. You'll need a TV connected to the Digibox via Scart cable in order to do this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back