RGI qualified to tidy up meter installation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gas meter which is a bit precarious.

It's about an inch or two from the wall, resting on a dodgy shelf. It needs to be moved back to the wall and secured to it. The pipework on my side of the meter is also going to be renewed or at least altered.

Is an 'ordinary' Gas Safe engineer allowed to do this? The supply pipe won't be altered. At the most the bolt may need to be slackened very slightly to allow the meter to be moved back to the wall.

It's not an alteration as far as the supply side is concerned. Just a straightening up.

But as I'm going to make a fuss about some of the gasman's other work, I would like to know whether he might claim (and be right) that he can't touch the meter.

Sponsored Links
As far as im aware, any RGI with met1, can move the meter, providing its within the vicinity.

If you can upload a pic of the meter or a few from different angles, including the ECV and outlet pipework. I should be able to tell you how easy the job would be.

Edit.. forgot the met1 bit :-/ Cheers ADL!

if he has met1 then he can move it
to anywhere within the confinds of the length of the anconda
felixable metal pipe

If you need it moving a little futher than the semi-rigids pipe reach, You're supplier will probably move it within 2 meters of its current position and usually for no charge.

The semi-rigid pipe can be coppered up, but its a ballache to do.

Sponsored Links
What is there in MET1 in respect of fitting a support bracket which is not covered in the core?

What is there in MET1 in respect of fitting a support bracket which is not covered in the core?

Anytime a non-meter fitter does pipework, he has to disconnect the meter anyway.

Perhaps its just a money spinner.

Its been a while since i did met1, but arent the question covered in the core?

Whilst we are on met1, does met4 superseed met1?

Met1 is a joke as has been said meter has to come out if pipework being done ,other than setting the governor dont think there is anything that isn`t covered in core.
Another example of money for nothin off of us.

Word of warning for pros though on the washers being used by NG at present if you do take meter out
When refitting tighten them back up like king kong has done them then ten mins later go back and tighten again . They are crap and unions are loosening off if not tightened up like this

Thats what I expected!

I think that its intended to be a simple unit for those who are only changing meters.

Whilst its difficult to see what is not covered in the core, has there ever been any RGI criticised for doing anything permitted to a meter if he did not have MET1 ?

I used it once as an excuse to NOT replace a coin slot meter for an old fellow who expected me to do it for just £10 .

Met1 is a joke as has been said meter has to come out if pipework being done ,other than setting the governor dont think there is anything that isn`t covered in core.
Another example of money for nothin off of us.

Word of warning for pros though on the washers being used by NG at present if you do take meter out
When refitting tighten them back up like king kong has done them then ten mins later go back and tighten again . They are crap and unions are loosening off if not tightened up like this

We meter fitters arent allowed to adjust the pressure on the regs, IF theres an issue with pressure, change the reg, if the issue persists, Check the time to contemplate local gas usuage, then ring national grid anyway.

As for the washers, You're absolutley right, we get told every month that the washers supplied in the reg kits arent to be used. But the washers they supply us with seperately are the same washers.

The brief states, Tighten up on first connection and check to see if hand tight after ten minutes.

The crap washers have a plastic like texture, and the good washers are very much rubbery, like that of a bike inner tube.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back