RIBA Architect stage F1 - drawing details?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have employed an architect to design and produce the dwgs for my extension up to stage F1 production information - and they are supposed to be sufficient for building regs approval and also building tenders. I have now received them and am very disappointed as they are not dreally different from the planning dwgs - no detail of construction of finish and importantly dimensions. I feel let down to b frank .. What should I expect from the architect at this stage F1 ? can anyone provide any guidance as the RIBA website is pretty poor on details.

Sponsored Links
Have you paid yet? Is he actually an architect, one assumes he's on the ARB register (you can check).

Anyway, Stage F1 is now outdated, the old stages having been updated in 2013. Old Stage F1 is equivalent to the new Stage 4, anyway I'm going off track again, if he's said he'll get to that stage then you should have a good set of working drawings with your setting out dimensions and a builder should need little in the way of any additional information for both tendering and building from. There should be setting out plans, some proper sections, a services plan and some details showing the eaves etc, there should be plenty of notes demonstrating what materials have been specified and how the construction achieves compliance with the Building Regulations. That said of course it also kinda depends what you paid .....

The RIBA exists to serve the interests of architects, not their victim-clients.

You should've got a decent local technician, not an airy-fairy architect.

The RIBA exists to serve the interests of architects, not their victim-clients.

You should've got a decent local technician, not an airy-fairy architect.
In fairness to some architects some think the RIBA is right up its own ass and proper resent the annual ARB fee, bang on about techys of course though.

Sponsored Links
As Freddy pointed out, the fact that they have quoted the out of date RIBA Plan of Work suggests that they are probably not a qualified architect. It is not unusual for other designers to work to it, even some techies.

However from your description I would say that the drawings are barely to stage D (Scheme Design), certainly not E (Detail Design) and definately not F (Production Information)

If the drawings are supposed to be upto Building Regs standard (Stage E) I would hold back payment until you receive the approval for a full plans application. Or if the "architect" is submitting the application clarify that the fee includes all his work up to approval because from the sounds of it they need to add a lot more detail.

You should be OK using the approved building regs drawings to get builders quotes provided they have sufficient detail and are not full of generic cut and paste building regs notes.

"the fact that they have quoted the out of date RIBA Plan of Work suggests that they are probably not a qualified architect"

They might not be, but I am. Can you please identify the article under which I am obligated to reference an RIBA Plan of Work in my dealings with my clients?

"the fact that they have quoted the out of date RIBA Plan of Work suggests that they are probably not a qualified architect"

They might not be, but I am. Can you please identify the article under which I am obligated to reference an RIBA Plan of Work in my dealings with my clients?
Presumably the OP has received, within his quotation, a proposal that they (the architect) expect to produce for the OP up to and including that stage. If they're gonna quote the stages in their quotation then its reasonable to expect that the drawings/information they intend on providing should roughly equate to the information required to satisfy that particular work stage.

If you don't quote the stages in your fee proposal but just say 'building regs drawings' that's one thing and perfectly acceptable but to say 'we'll produce drawings up to and including stage whatever' is pretty specific.

But the OP seems to have died so I don't really care about his dilemma anymore.

Thanks Freddy, well put.

My point was, if I provided a fee quote for a job and said I would prepare detailed drawings in accordance with 1976 Building Regulations it would be a bit of a give away that I was not really on the ball and certainly not a professional.

I wasn't saying a registered architect MUST quote the RIBA Plan of Work, you would just like to think that one on top of his game would be able to quote the current one if he referred to it in his fee proposal.

The point I was trying to make, obviously badly, was the guy probably wasn't an architect and that is maybe why the service he provided was not up the usual standard you would expect from one of your esteemed colleagues.

Whether the OP went back and found out the person was masquerading as an architect is one thing. I suspect they were following the common general public perception that everyone who draws plans is an "architect" and they had the misfortune to employ an unqualified idiot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back