Ridge beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m going to replace two existing roofs, both to be vaulted ceiling with velux windows. They meet each other with a valley / box gutter.

I friend of a friend has done the structural calculations but I have still have a few questions.

Roof 1 (inside size 11ft by 7ft)

Ridge 50 * 170 * 7ft c24

Rafters 50 * 125 c24

Two velux , one each side (MK04)

Roof 2 (inside size 11ft by 12ft)

Ridge 63 * 225 * 12ft c24

Rafters 50 * 125 c24

Four velux two each size (MK04)

Q1) can I use larger ridge beam e.g 75 * 225 instead of 63 as it’s easier to get.

Q2) can the rafters attach to the side of the ridge beam or does the beam have to be under the rafters with notches cut out of the rafters

Q3) can I user larger rafter e.g. 50 * 150 instead of 125, to allow for the insulation and can the bird mouth cuts be deeper so the extra depth is in the inside of room.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes
Yes
It depend if your friend has used the weight of 125mm joists and the calculation, and it just worked with those. But this is a slim possibility.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back