ridge tiles causing roof leak or somehting else??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got drips coming through the felt and the roof rafters have patches of soaked wood (presumably from the felt touching them). The drips seem to be worse at the apex and gradually get less the further I get to the eaves but basically it is wet all over the roof not in a particular place. I'm thinking the ridge tile mortar has given way - not been redone since house was built in 1973.

I'm getting some quotes for lifting, cleaning rebedding but then I thought this morning could it be that all the actual roof tiles have become porous and are soaking water through.

The reason I think this is about 18 months ago we unfortunately got a bit of a cowboy roofer in to do the soffits and clean the roof (which had quite a bit of moss on it). He used a pressure washer to clean the roof which I think has stripped the face off each tile - potentially leaving it non waterproof/porous perhaps it's taken 18 months for the water to finally work its way through and now the whole roof leaks.

I'll probably start by getting the ridge tiles doen and see how it goes but what do people think.

thanks

Is this a possibility or are the tiles waterproof full stop.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Probably what happened is there has been a stifling of airflow into your roof void and now you have condensation forming on the underside, when the weather turns cold.

Probably.

Ridge tiles don't cause leaks.

I thought u had pretty good airflow. I can see cobwebs being moved in the drafts.

Would water not seep through cracks un the ridge tiles mortar onto the underlying felt and trickle down?

If it is condensation should u add some vents in the soffits? Is there a way I could test if it is condensation?

Thanks

If the house was built 1976, then you will have reinforced non breathable slaters felt as an underlay.
The water is not coming through the felt, but as nose has said, is condensation forming on the underside of felt due to lack of sufficient cross ventilation.
Increase the cross flow ventilation and water will disappear.
Regards oldun

Sponsored Links
You could kill two birds with one stone so to speak and have vented ridge fitted.

prop open the felt laps with anything to allow natural air flow enter the loft.
try this before spending out
also make sure your insulation is fitted to spec.

prop open the felt laps with anything to allow natural air flow enter the loft.
I recently saw a plastic thingy made for the job - can`t remember the name :oops: but it was on sale at Shepherds Plastics , Eastbourne :idea:

Hey thanks for all your help. I've decided to do all of the above and see what happens over the next month or so

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back