Riello oil fired burner tuning

Sponsored Links
You can be a long way out, and the flame will still look reasonable. You would need to practice adjusting a flame, looking at it, and seeing what an analyser readings were at the time. The analyser will cost say, £300 ish. It would be cheaper to get someone round.

I was wondering about that!

On the same model just how close could you get if you went to say two a day for a few weeks and just set them up by flame colour???

Tony

Sponsored Links
I was wondering about that!

On the same model just how close could you get if you went to say two a day for a few weeks and just set them up by flame colour???

Tony

You would still have to check for smoke as a tiny amount can accumulate and cause positive feedback. You could de-tune it, but then it uses more oil and puts out more CO than necessary.

4% O2 will be ok for some installations, but on some, it will mean it's already smoking well.

My Dad taught me years ago to shut the air down until the flame starts to become orange (at that point it won't have enough air) than slowly open up the air until the flame becomes a whiteish yellow colour with no orage flecks on the flame tips....and you will be in the ballpark. He's been retired for 15 years now and has no anayliser but each year he services his old TRO and sets it up that way then gets me to check it when I pop in for a cup of tea and he usually has it spot on at around 11% CO2, which is fine for an old boiler like his.

THAT SAID..he was in the heating trade for 50 years working exclusively with oil from the 1960's and like Oilman has had plenty of experience of seeing what a good flame looks like. You must also bear in mind that the flame can change when you get the baffles in and lid back on. I always use an anyaliser and smoke pump and would recomend you get a professional with the correct equipment.

Having read through your stuck motor problem I understand you are a bit skint but it would have been FAR cheaper to get a pro' in the first place . They would (should) have spotted the original problem fixed it and set up the boiler for far less than you've spent on bits.

Having read through your stuck motor problem I understand you are a bit skint but it would have been FAR cheaper to get a pro' in the first place . They would (should) have spotted the original problem fixed it and set up the boiler for far less than you've spent on bits.

Penny wise, pound foolish.

my problem is there are so many untrust worthy people out there that will rip you off. I just dont trust anyone but my self.

quote]

my problem is there are so many untrust worthy people out there that will rip you off. I just dont trust anyone but my self.[/quote]

In that case you may not require any advice from strangers on here.

my problem is there are so many untrust worthy people out there that will rip you off. I just dont trust anyone but my self.

Thats a great pity!

But you have to pay for that attitude!

Most heating engineers are very honest and trustworthy but its only 5% or so who seize the opportunity to rip someone off. They are more likely to be employees rather than the sole trader or proprieter who has a reputation to protect.

Tony

Well i always seem to get that 5% this is Norfolk. I have solved my problem myself and i feel proud that i did. Your not going to tell me that a heating engineer would have only visited once to fix my problem it would have been 2 maybe 3 visits at 60 quid a pop pluss parts and labour i think i did ok. I also now have a good understanding how my burner works.

It feels like some people on this forum are just looking for the opportunity to start an argument, i just seek advice, and from that advise i will make my mind up as to what is good advise, and what is bad.

Thanks to all those who give there time to answer my posts without the attitude i really appreciate it.

There's no problem, if we're posting here we won't be round your house ripping you off. On the other hand if we're not posting here, we're ripping someone off somewhere. We're usually ripping people off during the normal working day, and the best victims are the ones least able to defend themselves. Peeing in the water tanks is always a good past time too. Why use their downstairs toilet when you can go to the van, get a ladder, carry it upstairs, get the loft hatch open, put your ladder up, climb up it, pick your way across a loft full of trusses and boxes of bits, uncover the tank, have a pee, then reverse the whole process.

I'm not very good at ripping off yet and need more practice. I keep making mistakes and fixing the fault on the first visit. Still I'm hoping to get some lessons.

With a fault like you had any decent engineer would have fixed it in one visit and trust me there are plenty of good engineers in Norfolk (myself included) In fact youre more likely to get ripped off in a big City where nobody knows each other... in the sticks word of mouth works very well so it doesn't take long to get a bad reputation if you stitch people up......

But I do post here occasionally to help people because I got help here once when my gas boiler went wrong. I got stick from some CORGI guys for attempting it but others were happy to help.

This is why I did give you advice about setting a flame by up by eye. I just thought it necessary to point out it's not (in any way shape or form ) the best way to do it and in your case, as in many I suspect, it is sometimes better to put some trust in the proffessionals because it can (not always) save you money in the long run.

Don't beleive everything you see on the Telly we are not all sharks ....... In Fact let's start a programme called ROUGUE JOURNALISTS...I've got a motorbike and a video camera!

im not saying that you guys are ripping people off. and i am greatfull for any information you can give me on tuning the burner i have just had bad experiences with a lot of tradesmen.

knowledge is power if you don't have knowledge then you can be come a target by rogue traders who see the opportunity to make a quick buck the temptation is too much for them not all but some

Anyway lets get back to the burner tuning can i get a cheap analyser. Anyone got any links

dan the man. :LOL:

such is life. I take my van in for service.......I take their word. what needs doing .....needs doing.

But I make sure its a main dealer.

you need a fekkin psychologist not a tradesman. He wont rip you off.

:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back