Right to buy

bribed the working man

I don't understand your logic, how is RTB a bribe any more than council housing?
Because people have aspirations, and people who never thought that they would own their own home were suddenly given a chance to at a greatly discounted cost.
If it's not a bribe why are the tories pledging to do it all over again now in the run up to an election?

I asked why if RTB is a bribe, why isnt council housing.

Both are giving you something you wouldnt have by your own means.

Sponsored Links
bribed the working man

I don't understand your logic, how is RTB a bribe any more than council housing?
Because people have aspirations, and people who never thought that they would own their own home were suddenly given a chance to at a greatly discounted cost.
If it's not a bribe why are the tories pledging to do it all over again now in the run up to an election?

Both are giving you something you wouldn't have by your own means.
The council house is never yours, its not an asset you can monitise, the RTB gave you an asset at greatly reduced rates giving immediate and potentially substantial equity, this is the bribe portion alluded to.

Also, with a full discount at the time, mortgages ended up much cheaper than the rent (this happened to my Gran), so there's another factor that should be taken into consideration.

bribed the working man

I told you people have ASPIRATIONS.

RTB also created a good few homeowners who had something to sell to finance their final years in a home.

Sponsored Links
bribed the working man

I told you people have ASPIRATIONS.

Not all people have the same aspirations, though. Some aspire to sit on their 'arris all day long, never doing a day's work; couldn't care less about owning a house, or "monetising" it later.
If council housing allows some to do that, could it then be considered a bribe?

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
No.

The proposition is that the RTB was a bribe, which in real terms it was to those that could/wanted to exercise that right. The feckless in society weren't the target.

RTB also created a good few homeowners who had something to sell to finance their final years in a home.

Yes it did, and fair play to them. However, the RTB was still subsidised by taxpayers. And many who did buy still end up without the asset on retirement, and still needing support by the state in final years.

Or they die before needing to get care, and the asset is moved on to someone else, at no benefit (actually a loss) to the state.

Makes more sense economically for the state to keep the assets, a cheaper housing stock, rather than pay high housing benefit to private landlords.And the savings to go towards retirement care only to those who need it.

So it created homeowners but at what cost to skewing supply and demand as well as actual monetary cost ?

Not all people have the same aspirations, though. Some aspire to sit on their 'arris all day long, never doing a day's work; couldn't care less about owning a house, or "monetising" it later.
If council housing allows some to do that, could it then be considered a bribe?
the vast majority off people in social housing are hard working people with kids or pensioners

most people consider a bribe to be "an inducement to manipulate in a certain direction "

Whether bribe or inducement, offering tenants the 'right' to buy their home at 50% market value resulting in a lower mortgage payment than the existing rent is hard to refuse.

The reason for the original RTB was purely political dogma - no different than 'smashing' the miners by any means possible, fair or foul, nor selling-off the nationally owned utility companies at similar discounts.

It was, economically, stupid.

Before anyone chips in and says, rightly, that the nationalised industries were badly run, surely the answer would have been to run them well by replacing the management instead of stifling them to make them appear worthless.

The advocates of the latest RTB state that the Housing Associations will use the proceeds to build replacement homes - then what?
RTB these new homes ad infinitum?

The council house is never yours, its not an asset you can monitise, the RTB gave you an asset at greatly reduced rates giving immediate and potentially substantial equity, this is the bribe portion alluded to.

Your simply playing pedantic whilst not actually answering the question.

All benifits give something of 'benefit' to the person, both save or provide money to the person that will provide them with asset's, and to answer another point someone else raised, all 'benefits' can influence behaviour, JSA for instance is specifically designed to do this.

So logically explain why if RTB is a bribe, other benefits are not?

Micilin said:
And many who did buy still end up without the asset on retirement,

Evidence!

Sounds like complete and utter ******!

EFL said:
Before anyone chips in and says, rightly, that the nationalised industries were badly run, surely the answer would have been to run them well by replacing the management instead of stifling them to make them appear worthless.

Because that is akin to saying 'waves magic wand'.

So logically explain why if RTB is a bribe, other benefits are not?
It's not about logic, it's about perceptions.
How about you answer the question, if RTB wasn't or isn't a bribe why are the tories pushing it now?

Micilin said:
And many who did buy still end up without the asset on retirement,

Evidence!

Sounds like complete and utter ****!

1. Some people die before they retire

2. Some people had their RTB homes repossessed

Edit-I'll look for figures but in 2009 RTB were twice as likely to have difficulties paying their mortgage, with about 10% of them in difficulty.

Source-Consumer Focus

I did a bit of work for a guy who must own half of Kirkby by now.
He would buy ex council houses do them up and rent them out.
Last I saw him he had about 20 or 30 and was still buying them.

Go on, debate me, YOU WILL LOSE!

It's not about logic.....

Then why expect me to waste time with your questions?

Clearly any answer I provide will just meet another illogical made up answer.

Because that is akin to saying 'waves magic wand'.
So, have the poor inefficient British car plants benefited from Japanese management or do they have a magic wand?

You are using a privately own business, that didn't didn't 'just replace the managers', as an example why privatisation was wrong!

:LOL:

There may have been other answers than privatisation, but your understanding of the situation is laughable.

Edit-I'll look for figures

Why not do that first, instead of just making up stuff then scrambling about to find tenuous evidence that collaborates your opinion.

Millions of houses have been sold, millions have not been repossessed.

And you mention a consumer focus source, of which there is only a *survey* of 2000 people.

Sponsored Links
Back