Right to light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. I've recently moved into a new house and my question is, my neighbours have a double story extension which was built before I moved in. However it 100% blocks the light into my sons bedroom side window as its only about one meter directly outside of his window and extends upwards and sideways in both directions. How did they manage to get building consent?

Sponsored Links
Two things, why did you not pick up on this before your purchased and regarding building consent it maybe a question to put to the planning office.

We did pick up on it b4 we purchased the house but it does not bother us as the bedroom has a window at the front of the house and the window in question is a waste of space anyway. I'm surprised it was even built like that in the 60s when the house was built. Just wondered how they ever got planning.

how was the room describes in the literature as a room or a study??
not sure how much difference it would make as there is natural light and ventilationo_O

Sponsored Links
It's 100% a bedroom and it does have more than enough natural light from the other window. Like I say I'm just curious how they got planning.

I'm unclear as to how being a new member affects the ability to read and pay attention.

It's 100% a bedroom and it does have more than enough natural light from the other window. Like I say I'm just curious how they got planning.

Maybe they didn't get planning? or Maybe they did it under regulations where it was permitted development?

@ban-all-sheds Well, Rights to Light aren't really a planning consideration, are they - so until DIYNOT has a forum for Easements or amends the title of this group to include them, it seems like the OP's doing the best they can.

@ban-all-sheds Well, Rights to Light aren't really a planning consideration, are they - so until DIYNOT has a forum for Easements or amends the title of this group to include them, it seems like the OP's doing the best they can.
Nakajo, the thread was originally posted elsewhere on the forum and was moved here. but why BAS and others continue to bleat on about it is a mystery and just serves to waste yours, mine and other peoples time by clicking on the thread when they think there may actually be a relevant post to read.

why BAS and others continue to bleat on about it is a mystery
Because the fabric of society relies on people paying attention.

One day you might lose your life because someone else doesn't pay attention.

People should not be allowed to get away with not paying attention.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back