Ring Circuit Tripped

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My ground floor ring circuit tripped yesterday. I was testing some fairy lights, they didn't work, so I assumed the switch had tripped, which it had. However, it wouldn't switch back on. I switched off and unplugged every appliance on the ground floor but it still wouldn't switch back on (this was very inconvenient because my boiler/wifi is on that circuit!) I kept trying throughout the day to see if it would eventually switch back on but it didn't so, I rang an electrician who said they would call round today. However, when I woke up this morning, it switched on again. I plugged in everything and it stayed on.
Can anyone explain what caused it to stay off? I can't see how the fairy lights would be responsible seeing as I'd unplugged everything and it would appear to be a circuit problem - if so, why did it rectify itself? There has been no rain, I wasn't using anything that could have got moisture into a socket?
I've cancelled my electrician but I'm worried it might happen again now!

Sponsored Links
RCD or MCB ? Post a photo of your consumer unit if you're not sure.

Fairy lights? Its october.

Anyway, these faults can be very hard to diagnose. By all means allow your electrician to test the electrics. All installations should be tested every 5-10 years anyway. Might cost you £150, though most sparks will throw in a couple of cheap remedials (fixing problems they find) for that too. An insulation test might throw up a problem which will cause an RCD to trip.

I have two very old pre-electronics RCD's protecting my house. Every so often they have a hissy fit and will not turn back on. I switch off every MCB, and both box isolators and then they will reset, I then switch each circuit back on, and likely it will be another 6 to 12 months before it happens again. I have a new consumer unit ready to fit, which will take RCBO's which should cure the problem, it is likely some spikes on the supply line which caused it to trip, but the very old RCD's have no circuit to reduce the unwanted tripping.

You may also be able to fit RCBO's which may help by splitting up the supply into more circuits, or fit one of the specials which are claimed to reject tripping due to spikes. It all depends on how often it happens as to if worth the effort to improve it.

Sponsored Links
Hi, if you have water getting into any wiring this will trip the RCD. Check outdoor sockets and light fittings.
It's possible that the fault has cleared over night as the moisture dries out.

DS

Thank you!
The lights are for a display I'm making for work, not related to Christmas!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back