Ripped off by plumbing charges......please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Susiejb

Please can someone help. My father in law has a Worcester Bosch boiler 241j and the hot water came warm then stopped working. A plumber came and charged £591 for the repair.
He is 89 years of age and I just cannot believe the price. It was £69 an hour and he stayed for over 5 hours and said he bought two parts, a NYC sensor and a plate heat exchange for which he charged £100.
From what I understand the boiler indicates the fault by a code.
I feel so angry about this......or am I being unreasonable.
Many thanks for your help.
Sue.

Sponsored Links
I think the chances of getting anything back are zero, so bit the bullet & move on.
I think all you do is tell your father in law next time there is ANY problem to call you.

That model doesn't have a plate heat exchanger. However what do expect anyone here to do, give you your money back? This is a DIY advice forum.

Sponsored Links
That model doesn't have a plate heat exchanger. However what do expect anyone here to do, give you your money back? This is a DIY advice forum.
No I am not completely stupid thank you.
I simply asked if anyone knew about plumbing if they could advise me about the apparently extortionate cost.

Sue

well i am afraid to say if he been paid not much chance of getting your money back
where in the uk are u from

Did your father sign on confirmation of arrival time and sign for payment to be taken from his card once work was completed, which also includes satisfaction?

Andy

well i am afraid to say if he been paid not much chance of getting your money back
where in the uk are u from

Well I live in Newquay Cornwall and my father in law in Birmingham. I will check out if it's true that it doesn't have a heat exchange plate and I will also phone the company and at least have my say.
It is pathetic that someone can take advantage of a 89 year old man.

Thank you for taking the time to reply by the way.

Sue.

Did your father sign on confirmation of arrival time and sign for payment to be taken from his card once work was completed, which also includes satisfaction?

Andy

He paid cash......and yes he signed a form......
What I really need to know is ......
Is the fault easy to find and how long should it take to fit the part.

Sue

I will say first that I am not supporting the installation company. However if the costs where explained beforehand, then simply your father in law could have said NO.

It may be that they are the companies std hourly rate, with parts at retail.

It does **** me off when someone comes on here moaning about being ripped off.
The customer always has a choice - to pay or not pay.

Nobody ever mentions about when we go around a top up pressure and do not charge, or today went to do a quote, and found a gas leak on the womens hob. Hob isolated and installation made safe. No charge.

The problem is that, without seeing the job, nobody here can accurately answer that question. The price may have been reasonable, or maybe it wasn't - it would depend whether he genuinely spent 5 hours fault finding and purchasing parts, or if most of that time was spent twiddling thumbs.

While near £600 does seem an excessive price, I think you would be unreasonable to complain, given that you have been left with a working boiler and your father-in-law was happy to pay what he did for the work.

GOLDEN RULE

Complain about the price before the work is done, not afterwards!

Get fixed quotes.

Andy

I am sorry to p..s you off.

I am not moaning, i am just trying to find out if th price can be justified. What a miserable lot some of you are here on this forum I would think about a change of job if I were you. Surely at £69 an hour you can afford to do the odd good turn for someone.

Keep smiling :) Sue

The price was agreed before hand via the hourly rate. The work was completed, the boiler works. Happy Days.

Keep Smiling and be warm.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back