Rising damp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our internal wall is going crumbly and the paint on the wall flakes off.

It does not feel damp to touch. The affected area is about a metre from the floor and about two metres in length.

The rest of the wall and other adjoining walls including the exterior wall have not shown any signs of such defects. I am wondering if it could be a case rising damp.

Please advise the cause and the remedy for this problem.

Thank you.
View media item 9240
View media item 9241

Sponsored Links
Wall and floor construction?

Whats going on externally?

Whats are external ground levels and drainage like?

Where are drains, pipe and gutters in context?

What room is it?

Is this just happening or regular/seasonal?

etc etc

Thank you for your response. I have answered them as best as I could.

Wall and floor construction?
Answer. Concrete floor, brick wall.

Whats going on externally?
Ans. Nothing unusual. There is a patio to the front of the room - about 3 metres away from the affected area.

Whats are external ground levels and drainage like?
Ans. Not noticed any signs of drainage problems - overground. I presume the underground drainage is working fine. Unaware of any problems.

Where are drains, pipe and gutters in context?
Down pipe is attached to the external wall about 3 metres away. It is working fine. No problems with the gutters. I cannot see any signs of drainage failure.

What room is it?
Ans. It is a bedroom for our guests and the room does not get used very often.
The room has one external wall but the external wall does not show any sign of problems. The affected wall has corridor to one side and the room to the other side.
There is plenty of ventilation all around. The corridor and the room are not damp.

Is this just happening or regular/seasonal?
Ans. It is a new problem. Not seasonal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back