Rising Damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone, not sure if this is the correct section or not so feel free to move it.

I have just bought my first house, it is a 3 bedroom end terrace built in the 40/50s and as far as I am told it should have a damp proof course as it is ex council?

When buying the house I had a damp check done by a local company and they advised it needed a new damp proof course but couldn't tell me one way or the other if It had one or not, they quoted me £2.5k at the most to fix it, because I hadn't signed anything yet I managed to get another £2k knocked off the house (5k in total)

After moving in and talking to some people (plasterer and builder) they advised me that the company I used are notorious for advising on new damp proof courses when they are needed although the banks surveyor picked up on signs of damp also.

The living room which runs from the front of the house to the back and has 3 outside walls is the only room showing signs of damp(some small signs of mould in one of the bedrooms but assume this is because previous owners have wall papered over the air vents doh!)

The damp is visible in one of the corners with black marks about a foot high and also the wall paper bubbling the entire way around the room also about a foot high. I Have peeled some of the paper off and the plaster behind it looks "ok" but have yet to remove it all yet, I will be removing it all on sunday as I am redecorating anyway although would delay redecorating if the DPC needs redoing as I know the plaster a meter high needs to be removed.

The house has sat empty for a year as previous owners passed away, someone advised me to hire an industrial dehumidifier for a week and run it and also try running the heat on constant for a day or two then get the damp levels rechecked (a friend is lending me his damp meter).

After doing some research online I have found that if there is signs of rising damp then it is most likely that the DPC will need to be replaced.

If anyone can advise me on what I should do next with regards to the damp then I would be grateful for any input.

Thanks
David

Sponsored Links
get a couple more firms in to give you the sp on your problems?then you can see who is telling you the truth.

Are the rooms upstairs or down and is the property above ground level?
It could well be something else.
Condensation mold spores can cause this.

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for the replies.

The living room is downstairs but the bedroom is upstairs.

That firm didn`t just Kiss the Blarney stone - They gave it " something else" ;) . You have probably one of the best built houses around - being ex council of that period - with the exception of the prefabs they sometimes did- DO NOT waste your money . clean the walls off with a bleach solution -and get the place warmed and ventilated. Good Luck ;)

get that horrible paper off and let some fresh air @ the wall ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back