RJ type plug sizes ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I volunteered to put an RJ type plug on an elderly neighbours telephone handset line.

When I got it, the plugs are smaller than I'm used to.
They are 4/4 and a tad over 7mm wide.

I thought they might be RJ10,,, until I saw RJ9 in the mix.

After an hour or so of searching, I can't find the physical differences between 10 & 9.

1/ Is there anywhere where I can compare sizes ?
2/ Can someone tell me the difference please ?
3/ Once I know the right size, I'll need to get a 'head' for the size for my crimpers. I have no idea where I bought them - will I be able to get just the head/s ?

any other help or advice welcome.
Thank you for reading.

Sponsored Links
What you are really looking for is a 4P4C modular connector.
I think RJ9, RJ10 and so on is a reference to the wiring behind the plug as well as the plug - something to do with telecommunications and data networking.
To throw more confusion into it, I don't think a handset cord is either RJ9 or RJ10 - it just uses the same plugs!!

Thanks guys,
I already have 4P4C connectors (& crimpers), but they are too big for this application, hence my - wrong - terminology of RJ11.

I still can't find the difference between sizes (oooops 'RJ') 9 & 10.

It looks like I'll just get a replacement lead in the end, but I'd still appreciate the details if anyone can supply them please.

cheers

Sponsored Links
RJ9 is 4P4C
RJ11 is 6P4C - that is a six-pin carrier that can have all six
pins present or the middle four only
RJ12 is 6P6C
RJ45 is 8P8C

Many people do not recognise the difference between RJ11 and
RJ12, using RJ11 for both.

What about the physical sizes ?
How do we differentiate between sizes ?

What about the physical sizes ?
4 Way 13.35 x 7.62
6 Way 13.35 x 9.65
8 Way 22.52 x 11.65
8 Way 22.85 x 11.70 - shielded
10 Way 22.52 x 11.65
10 Way 22.85 x 11.70 - shielded

How do we differentiate between sizes ?
By look and a ruler!

Incidentally these are modular connectors and are commonly used for telephone systems, data networks, and low-speed serial connections. These connectors are inexpensive, relatively simple to terminate, and easy to plug and unplug. A modular connector typically has a clear, plastic body, with a tab that locks the plug and jack into place when connected. In the vernacular used by the technology industry, they are called "RJ" connectors. This is technically inaccurate, but the naming convention is widely used. RJ is an acronym for Registered Jack, which is part of a coding system developed in the 1970s by AT&T to classify telephone services and equipment.

cheers again Alan,

Even I can use a ruler,,,,, as long as I have the items on hand to measure ;)
I needed to know what to ask for when buying blind.

When I was working, I used RJ11's (excuse the wrong vernacular [although it may have been correct in my work - CCTV etc] but for this purpose, I hope you bear with me), I was pretty sure that I had used 4-pin ones,,,, then decided to go for 6-pin ones for versatility - but always 'RJ'11 size.
I still have some,,,, but now see that they are all 6-pin.

Sooooo,
If I wanted to buy 'RJ'10, I ask for 4-pin (4P4C) ?
Are all 4-pins the same physical size ?
Are 'RJ'9's the same size ?
'RJ'10/9 crimpers seem more difficult to get hold of. I thought mine had an interchangeable 'head', but can't locate the smaller heads.

As above - I've decided to buy them a new lead,,,, & its not likely that I'll need to use these connectors in the future,,, but I like to know details.

thanks to all

Sorry I wasn't trying to 'have a go' at you but unfortunately there seems to be a multitude of names for what seems to be the same product!

For instance a 6pin plug (or at least one with a possible maximum of 6 pins) seems to be called by various name depending upon how many pins are fitted plus, it seems the purpose for which it is being used.

For instance 6possible pin connector can have:
2pins (or 4 but only 2 used) = RJ11
4pins = RJ13 or RJ14 (depending upon usage)
6pins = RJ12 or RJ18 (depending upon usage)

4P4C handset plug (popularly, but really incorrectly, called "RJ9", "RJ10", or "RJ22")

The problem with the various 'RJ' names (stands for 'Registered Jack') is that some connectors have been given 'RJ' designations where they are not actually registered and therefore do not form part of the official standard. This includes RJ9, RJ10 & RJ22.

Common usage has also led to network cable plugs being called RJ45 but the true registered jack with reference RJ45 has nothing to do with Ethernets!

Sorry I wasn't trying to 'have a go' at you but unfortunately there seems to be a multitude of names for what seems to be the same product!

No need to apologise mate. I know you (along with others) take the time to help numpties like me, and I appreciate it.

The info you gave helped tremendously - & I for one knows a lot more now.

all the best - & thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back