Rodent Chewed Some outer insulation off 2.5mm Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have just looked under a kitchen unit where I can see some 2.5mm cable that is feeding a 13A fused Spur. It looks as though some of the insulation has been chewed off in a few places but none of them breaking the coloured insulation on the individual wires.

What is the best course of action ?

I believe some people put insulation tape on the affected areas !

Is heatsrink an option on affected parts ?

It doesnt seem practical to replace the cable back to the supplying socket as that is in the wall behind the unit and in parts under the tiling.

There has been no sign of mice since we have had the mice so this probably happened when the house was previously owned.

Sponsored Links
I would use self amalgamating tape over insulation tape if thats the option you want to take. Insulation tape will more than likely dry out and fall off over time.

Or just SA tape - I can't see any value in putting "insulation" tape under it.

And for 'future-proofing' after using SA sleeve the exposed cable in plastic conduit. No-one can guarantee you won't have rodents in the future.

Sponsored Links
Just to be clear... you guys are saying its better to use SA tape than heatshrink sheath ?

shouldnt make a lot of difference, except that to use heatshrink you will need to disconnect 1 end of the cable to get the thing onto the cable

Personally if reasonablly practical to do so i'd say enclosing the cable in conduit would be the best course of action. If rodents have got to the cable before they may do so again.

yes I plan to look into using conduit after I have put some protection in the affected bits....

.... It looks as though some of the insulation has been chewed off in a few places but none of them breaking the coloured insulation on the individual wires.
Just noticed this thread. Am I the only person who feels that, before one gets into these discussions about what sort of tape/heatshrink/whatever to use to repair the rodent damage, and what mechanical protection to protect from future rodents, it would be very sensible to undertake an IR test on the cable, and also perhaps others in the vicinity?

Kind Regards, John.

.... It looks as though some of the insulation has been chewed off in a few places but none of them breaking the coloured insulation on the individual wires.
Just noticed this thread. Am I the only person who feels that, before one gets into these discussions about what sort of tape/heatshrink/whatever to use to repair the rodent damage, and what mechanical protection to protect from future rodents, it would be very sensible to undertake an IR test on the cable, and also perhaps others in the vicinity?

Kind Regards, John.

It will be fully testing so no worries there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back