Rodent Gnawing Preferences

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Earlier today, I saw the weekend/holiday cottage of a friend of a relative. It’s been unoccupied for a month or two, and has acquired an infestation of rodents (thought to be rats) during that time. Telephone, computer networking, intercom, TV and alarms were all found to be malfunctioning (or not functioning), but the electrical installation appeared to be working OK. An ‘extensive EICR’ (and the equivalent for plumbing – see below) are going to be undertaken next week and, in preparation for that, a good few floorboards have been lifted today.

The animals have clearly had a field day with all the comms/signal cables (telephone Cat5, sky dish cable and TV coax, alarms, intercom etc.) – some have been totally gnawed through in multiple places, with a lot of sheathing and insulation gnawed in other places. However, in terms of what has so far been exposed, the electrical installation (we think mid-late 80’s – metric PVC wiring, with a whole-house RCD) seems to be largely unscathed. We saw two or three places where sheathing had been attacked a bit, but nowhere did we seen any damage etending to core insulation. FWIW, I did a quick ‘whole installation’ IR test, and it seemed fine. They’ve also ‘had a go’ at some plastic water pipes but thankfully have not penetrated any.

It could, of course, be that more extensive inspection will reveal other damage to the electrical wiring but, assuming it doesn’t, I wondered whether this is a known phenomenon – i.e. is there something about ‘small round cables’ that attracts rodents, in preference to electrical wiring cables? Do their genes perhaps tell them that chewing the latter can be painful, or even fatal?!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I wonder if they can detect the magnetic field of a mains cable or even if they've had a warning nip of the mains before and decided it's a bad idea.

It might even just be a different type of PVC on the mains cables.

I've never seen any real preference of one type over another. I've seen all unprotected cable types attacked by rodents.

Worst seems to be squirrels and rabbits, then rats and lastly mice in order of damage caused.

I wonder if they can detect the magnetic field of a mains cable or even if they've had a warning nip of the mains before and decided it's a bad idea.
Yes, that's the sort of thing I was wondering about. Mind you, a I'm sure is the case with you, I've seen some pretty extensive damage to mains cables in the past, and can't help feeling that some of the perpetrators must have experienced at least a 'warning nip' or two, and yet carried on!
Yes, I wondered about that, too - but haven't got a clue. Come to think of it, I think that many of those small cables do tend to have a distinctive 'odour'.
Worst seems to be squirrels and rabbits, then rats and lastly mice in order of damage caused.
That largely makes sense - although I don't think of rabbits invading homes in the same way as the others - do they? Also, being exclusively herbivorous, I would have thought that rabbits' teeth are less suitable for this sort of destructive activity!

Kind Regards, John

we have it really bad with rats, but they only seem to chew cables from pre-about-1990. I always thought they must have put something repellent into the insulation.
I have seen slight damage to modern cables but nothing like what they do the older ones.

Sponsored Links
Here is some t&e. It was in about two years when the RCD started to trip.

It was attacked by rabbits which had gnawed a hole through the side of a timber framed building to get into the sub floor void.

There's a lot of use of polyolefins for comms cables.
Thanks. Maybe that's what attracts them, then.

Kind Regards, John

Maybe they've got a taste for it. Alternatively, it's just easier to get their teeth into!

Some of the cheaper cables I've used you can strip just by pulling hard.

Hmm, maybe I should feed the knockoff power cable I got with this PSU to the local rats, they might like it. There's not too much copper in there to bother them.

They’ve also ‘had a go’ at some plastic water pipes but thankfully have not penetrated any.
Be warned, non penetrating damage can create a weak spot which over time can develop into a burst.

Rodents do seem to stop chewing just short of the live conductor in a mains cable so they must be able to sense the voltage as their teeth get close to the metal.

They’ve also ‘had a go’ at some plastic water pipes but thankfully have not penetrated any.
Be warned, non penetrating damage can create a weak spot which over time can develop into a burst.
Indeed ....
An ‘extensive EICR’ (and the equivalent for plumbing – see below) are going to be undertaken next week...
Rodents do seem to stop chewing just short of the live conductor in a mains cable so they must be able to sense the voltage as their teeth get close to the metal.
Yes, I've noticed that. However, it's also quite common to see a situation in which they have just exposed one tiny bit of copper - maybe because they 'learned the lesson' (hilst their tngue was touching than an the CPC!)and decided not to carry on!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back