Rodent taste preferences

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few days ago, I had a look around a house currently undergoing extensive refurbishment, which will include at least a partial (if not complete) rewire. Many of the floorboards had been lifted. The house had been unoccupied for a very appreciable period of time.

The rodents had had a real field day with all the telephone, alarm, Cat5 and coaxial cables - not just near where they went through holes (which usually seems the most common place), but scattered all along their lengths - in some places having totally severed the cables.

However, virtually all the (PVC, seemingly all metric) T+E cables appeared to be essentially intact. There were a few 'teeth marks' in a few places, but we didn't see any examples of them even having even penetrated the sheath.

Is this a common experience? Is there something about T+E which they don't like and/or something about the smaller cables that they find particularly attractive?!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Afters seeing there mates blown to peices maybe they have evolved.

I was once told that in france they add a repelant during manufacture, perhaps they do the same here

I suspect your tongue is in your cheek, but there could possibly be a little truth in that ... or. more likely, 'proper Darwinian evolution' - i.e. those rodents which least liked the taste of T+E PVC would be the most likely to survive and pass their ('don't like the taste of T+E') genes on to subsequent generations.
I was once told that in france they add a repelant during manufacture, perhaps they do the same here
That would make sense - but, if it's done (and works) they perhaps ought to put it in all PVC cables, not just 'house wiring cables'!

Kind Regards, John

Were the mains cables live or had the power been turned off while the house was unoccupied ?

It might be the rodents detect the electrostatic field and this make them feel un-easy about nibbling the insulation.

Sponsored Links
I have sometimes seen a live cable nibbled right through to the copper, but never ever a dead rodent next to it.

Have they learned how to work on live electrics, or do their comrades take the corpses away for decent burial?

As with birds perched on 11Kv over head lines the rodent can touch a live conductor without getting a shock if there is no second point of contact from body to Ground or Neutral

Surely that applies to humans as well, but you still get a belt if you touch a live wire while standing on carpet with shoes on etc....

Something i've never quite understood.

but you still get a belt if you touch a live wire while standing on carpet with shoes on etc.
Provided the carpet and shoes are dry the "belt" is via the capacitive path from body to Ground and / or Neutral. The same path that may light up the neon in a screwdriver ( or may not light it giving a false "dead" indication ).

Were the mains cables live or had the power been turned off while the house was unoccupied ? ... It might be the rodents detect the electrostatic field and this make them feel un-easy about nibbling the insulation.
Turned off - so that can't be the reason.

Kind Regards, John

I have sometimes seen a live cable nibbled right through to the copper, but never ever a dead rodent next to it.
Same here.
Have they learned how to work on live electrics, or do their comrades take the corpses away for decent burial?
I don't know about a decent burial - taken away to be eaten might be more likely! I've certainly found the remnants of dead rodents distant from the point of cable chewing!

Kind Regards, John

I suspect your tongue is in your cheek, but there could possibly be a little truth in that ... or. more likely, 'proper Darwinian evolution' - i.e. those rodents which least liked the taste of T+E PVC would be the most likely to survive and pass their ('don't like the taste of T+E') genes on to subsequent generations.
That would make sense - but, if it's done (and works) they perhaps ought to put it in all PVC cables, not just 'house wiring cables'!
I'm not sure how discriminatory a rat's sense of taste is, given some of the things they eat.

Also, they might chew on cables to wear their teeth down, not as a food source.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back