RoI rejects religion...

A Christian baker may hold the belief that same-sex marriage is contrary to what is written in his holy book
That's a belief. There is no suggestion that anyone will stop him believing whatever he wants

Interestingly, it is reported that a case has occurred, in a foreign country, where such a baker refused to provide such a cake. I am not aware of such as case occurring in the UK so it would be interesting to know what might happen.

I heard of a case last year in France, where a shopkeeper put up a sign saying that Jews were unwelcome, during one of Israel's periodic bombardments of Gaza schools and hospitals. I believe it was said to be illegal to put up such a sign in France.

Sponsored Links
A Christian baker may hold the belief that same-sex marriage is contrary to what is written in his holy book
That's a belief. There is no suggestion that anyone will stop him believing whatever he wants

Hopefully though, it would be beneficial if someone would try and educate such believers that their beliefs (not just this one) are illogical, unfounded, and ridiculous.

Legal sanctions may lead to common sense triumphing (eventually).

Just out of interest are islamists forced by our law to carry out gay marriages are perform services for gays? Serious question, not out a start to another muslim bashing thread.

I am not aware that any church or religious organisation is legally obliged to carry out same-sex marriages if they do not wish to. Did you think they were? Why do you ask about Muslims in particular?

Did you think that, for example, Roman Catholic churches are obliged to perform weddings for divorced people?

Sponsored Links

But it appears that, although no-one can stop him believing what he wants, they can force him to practise things contrary to his belief.

And that's fair?

Norcon might hold the belief that people whose ancestors lived in Northern Ireland exactly 300 years ago are his god's chosen people and are entitled to seize land and homes from people whose ancestor's didn't, and some whose ancestors did.

Losing some land 300 odd years ago is irrelevant to what's going on today...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCHu1kRT6hU

Whilst I respect that journalist (he became angry near the end due to the contemptuous way he was treated) all I can say is "stupid irish".

Where I live prods and catholics do battle over land. But of course not with the pitch forks anymore but with finances. :LOL:

Btw Catholics give us very little work or trade. 25 years ago they did.
So where is the peace? Things have went backwards.

I couldn't give a toss if the ecb sucks them dry. They're just reaping what they've sown.
Ultimately but for their bitterness against the English they would be much better off united with the UK encompassing the irish state.
And not those slackers in the eu.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
But it appears that, although no-one can stop him believing what he wants, they can force him to practise things contrary to his belief.
And that's fair?
Is stopping people doing unfair things unfair?

Semantics ?

This cake case is a trivial example.
What if beliefs entail something more serious - like, say, chopping off people's heads?

Deleted because previous hilarious post deleted so pointless. :evil:

• Thanks
Ok, if you won't do a gay message on the cake just write something really appropriate, then.

1acake18.jpg

And that's fair?
Is stopping people doing unfair things unfair?

What's fair surely depends upon which side of the fence you sit.

It seems to me that, these days and in this country (yes, I know the 'cake incident' was in Eire), some are treated more fairly than others.

What's more, I very much suspect that the two homosexuals (I hope the censor finds that word acceptable) were just trying to make a point by stirring things up a little.
Is that fair?

BTW, it was in Belfast as opposed to being in Eire.

• Thanks
What's fair surely depends upon which side of the fence you sit.
I suppose it does but if <something> has been deemed illegal then it may well be unfair to those it constricts - fox-hunters, boy racers, shoplifters, insider traders, polygamists, murderers.
The line has been drawn.

It seems to me that, these days and in this country (yes, I know the 'cake incident' was in Eire), some are treated more fairly than others.
I would agree that when discrimination is outlawed, it does go too far the other way.

What's more, I very much suspect that the two homosexuals (I hope the censor finds that word acceptable) were just trying to make a point by stirring things up a little.
You are probably correct but that is what happens.
Would you be happier if it had been the police?

Is that fair?
As I said, what is fair?
Is one side less fair than the other.

I have previously noticed that you think some religious views should be ignored and punished.
Although vastly different in importance, I don't see how you can have it both ways.

I have previously noticed that you think some religious views should be ignored and punished.
Although vastly different in importance, I don't see how you can have it both ways.

Ignored and punished?

Could you please elaborate and put that statement of mine(?) into context?

Sponsored Links
Back