Rollering new plaster - walls & ceiling? Product question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm no pro painter as you have probably already guessed, but i've painted enough in the house (by brush) so far which has turned out to a finish i'm satisfied with.

I need to get cracking with the walls & ceiling that has been done, so it's going to be a roller job.

With so many different rollers out there - different materials, different depths of 'fluffy-ness' (i know that's not the technical term but it should be :)) etc etc I want to buy in the right one that will:
1) provide the best finish for the surface being painted
2) be ok for my novice-like self to work with.

Some of the walls & the ceiling have been skimmed on to plasterboard, some other walls were built up off brick wall & then skimmed.

If linking up helps with making it easier i was looking at:

http://www.decoratingwarehouse.co.uk/buy/rollers-and-trays/9-paint-rollers--frames/

https://www.thedecoratingstore.co.uk/roller-sleeves/roller-sleeves-9-inch

It doesn't have to be 9" i guess. I just selected that randomly.

Sponsored Links
I've always used a 9" medium pile Albany roller sleeve, never had a problem with them. Good finish.

The shorter piles will give a smoother finish and work best on smooth surfaces such as plaster. If you have perfectly smooth finished plaster (sounds like you may do if it's all newly plastered) and you like a very smooth finish then this will be the way to go. Though you can't go far wrong with a medium pile.

If you have a lot of painting to do, a wider roller and a scuttle instead of the shallow trays are good investments to speed the process up whilst maintaining a cleaner work area.

Also, in my experience I wouldn't be tempted with the cheaper options as some can destroy the finish. Either by not allowing you to apply the paint well (sliding and smudging the paint) or the roller material coming off onto the wall and into the wet paint. Screwfix is a great website to get a good amount of product reviews for the rollers they sell. Or there will be lots of reviews if you search around. I know Purdy are a good make, which are for sale from the suppliers you've linked to.

Sorry I can't be specific with the products, but I hope some of that helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back