Ronseal woodstain won't dry properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've applied 3 coats of Ronseal '5 Year Woodstain' onto a couple of hardwood doors in the recommended manner.

However the finish is still sticky a week later, and especially so if the sun is shining on the doors.

I contacted Ronseal who advised rubbing the surface with white spirit but that made no difference. After that they said they didn't have a clue!

Any ideas what I can do?

Sponsored Links
Were these brand-new untreated doors?

How did you clean and prepare them?

How long between coats, and how was the room ventilated while drying?

You sound like the Ronseal call centre person :D

Existing exterior doors fully sanded down, cleaned with white spirit and allowed to dry...

Doors removed and coated outside away from direct sunlight...

Time between coats approx 10 - 12 hours

Do you mean the doors dried outside? Overnight? Or in the sun?

Do you mean you sanded down to bare wood? What was the old treatment? How old are these doors?

How many litres of stain did you use for the three coats on the two doors?

Sponsored Links
Exterior doors, so dried outside.

Coats applied out of the sun as per instructions.

As I said, wood sanded back and cleaned with WS.

The old treatment was I believe sadolin 'extra durable woodstain'

The doors are south facing, so re-fitted after the last coat had dried for 12 hours. The sun does now shine on them - when it is out of course!

Doors are wooden framed glass so approx half a litre.

I had the same thing. I was using two different colours. One dried perfectly, the other was slightly tacky for weeks. Exactly the same material, same conditions.

Did the tacky one dry eventually?

I got back to Ronseal again and they simply said keep rubbing it with white spirit and it should dry eventually - not exactly a ringing endorsement of the product!

The colour I'm having trouble with btw is Teak

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back