Roof Cleaning and removal of Moss Algea

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am wanting to know whats the best method of cleaning a Roof which has moss on it.

Should it be cleaned using a pressure washer?

Also does coating of the roof protect from Moss/Algea growing backing
What kind of Cost am i looking at/

I have tiled roof which is less than 25 years old.

If anyone can recommend a good service around the Huddersfield Area would be much appreciated. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Fit a string of copper wire along your ridge. Something to do with oxidising makes the moss unable to grow. I'd assume it would also kill the existing.

Alan - Copper string av read only works on the first few rows down from ridge. So i guess several lines on copper would need to be evenly planted.

trowel and hoe will it not damage the roof?

So is pressure washing and treating roof ideal solution?

Sponsored Links
Assuming your tiles are in a fairly good condition then cleaning them and properly applying a decent quality paint will slow down the re-growth, and will rejuvenate it to an extent.  What you're trying to achieve is not to allow the moss to root, by smoothing out the existing pores/small cracks etc you'll achieve a fair bit of this.

BTW basic concrete tiles aren't very expensive, you could probably buy new tiles for your complete roof for around the same amount as a contractor would charge you to prepare and paint it.  Obviously this doesn't include the labour costs tho.  It's not beyond a reasonable DIYer to re-roof, say, one elevation of their roof each year etc.  Maybe worth considering.

I put a 20 foot collar of scrap 1/2" copper pipes I had lying around around my chimney. The copper did seem to have an effect but for only about a 2 feet radius around. According to some sources zinc plated strips could be a better option, Have a look at there skylights in this article.

http://bryophytes.science.oregonstate.edu/page24.htm

alan - Which quality paint or moss removal can you advise me off?
also Will jet washing down the roof adequate?

Pual - i have seen you tube video of Zinc strips and unfortunately don't seem to very effective as they are made out to be
:) :)

Prob need strips every few rows

Most of the contractors I see around applying these coatings seem to clean the roof with pressure washers then come back a few days later to coat it, so I'd say yes power washing will be ok. It'll be messy tho, and potentially slippy under foot.

I'm also not sure of what particular product would be best. See if you have a local roofers merchant and see what they stock, or would recommend. They tend to stock decent stuff which contractors would use, rather than cheap made stuff aimed at the diy market.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back