Roof Condensation Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i got my roof replaced 2 years ago, new felt and slates, also had my attic converted into another bedroom, but afraid the company went bust afterwards, i now have dripping from the nails, and was told its condensation they put in 3 roofing vents but aint helped, still getting alot of water dripping from the nails in the roof and running down the walls to the rooms below and marks have appeared on attic walls, i was told it was due to the attic loft being warm and outside being cold which is making the condensation, have spent thousands on trying to fix the problem without any luck, i was told by the slater that just came out was due to they used non breathing felt instead of breathing. anyone have any idea what i can do without spending thousands more replacing the felt, can u buy equipment to cool the loft space to fix the problem or is replacing the roof again the only option.

Sponsored Links
thx for the reply, i was told that by the slater but wasnt sure if it was the best option, as ive had new damp patches appear since getting in the vents 2 weeks ago, any idea how many vents are usually needed in a slated house

What size is the air gap between the underside of the slate battens and insulation above the plasterboard? Was this passed by Building Control?

Sponsored Links
between the roof(felt) they put celotex then platerboard looks about 2inch gap down walls. not to my knowledge they said they would do it.

thx alot i really appriate the advice, thought the company was a good firm but been ripped off like alot of others.

Hi

The problem you have is warm moisture laden air from the rooms below coming into contact with a cold surface.

The easy solution would be to introduce a vapour barrier across the ceiling - temporarily remove any insulation, drape the vapour barrier over the ceiling joists and across the ceiling - you will need to tape joints -overlap by around 100mm - . Once done, replace insulation.

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back