Roof Design

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm doing some plans for a friend for planning. He insists on a pitch roof. Its a "wrap around extension" of the side and rear. 2 m to the side and 3 m to the rear.

Can I do a hipped roof at the same pitch but finishing at different heights or will this look terrible / pose problems for the carpenters?

Any other suggestions welcome. He wont entertain a flat roof despite me telling him they are fine with the correct detailing and materials.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Piece of cake.

The wider section will dictate the height of the hip blade (rafter).

The hip blade will not hit the corner of the existing building rather it will land about 1 metre back on the wider section side.

The narrow section with track along at a lower level then you will have a longer rafter once it passes the corner of the building where it will join the top edge of the hip blade.

From there the diminishing jacks will start.

Easy peasy.

Sponsored Links
If the hip lined up with the corner of the house (so that the line where the rear roof slope meets the house wall is level right across), the two roof slopes would be noticeably different. Not only would that not look good, but it would cause problems at the eaves, because each side would finish at slightly different levels.

I understand your point about aesthetics, but more often than not, sound and practical construction usually looks good, regardless of things such as symmetry.

I'd say that would look terrible.

No; that's the normal way of doing it, and it would look fine.

Just my opinion that I wouldn't like it, but I know I'm fussy about things being symmetrical or logical-looking in my mind. I wouldn't like the fact that the ridge doesn't line up with the original house corner.

Ed
WHAT!!!
That detail is perfectly fine and balanced. What in the dickens are you going on aboot? Do you know anything about building or basic architecture?

As a slightly fussy homeowner I think it looks fine. I'd be happier having that than a flat roof. The only exception would be if the flat roof was a statement piece ie made from zinc/copper with a lantern roof etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back