Roof Disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

I am searching for a little advice. My mother recently hired a company through mybuilder.com to have a complete new roof. It looks like they think they have finished as they just disappeared and took there stuff with them. When I went round to inspect, it the worst example of a roof I have seen, not surprising as they did the whole thing off of one erected scaffold at the back of the house only and it's an end terrace! Where they should have joined the neighbors they have put some sort of gully in but not set the tiles properly on her side and left both sides open which has got to be a hazard for water getting in. Round the back where i can only presume they think we can't see it they have done the same but not even cut the tiles into place. The leading around the chimney is just useless! I have attached some pictures to show.

They also left loads of crap in the loft should they have covered up the insulation which had only just been done they also uplifted the insulation for a vent and just left it all ripped up, they have left used big buckets in the loft too! It's supposed to be dry ridge mortar free but they have slapped mortar here there and every where which also looks nasty.

I would be most grateful for advice about how it should have been done as the Boss is on holiday at the minute and will be returning for his money on Friday, when he does I need to know what I am talking about in order to tell him what should have been done and what i expect done before he gets any money!

Thanks in advance for any comments.

View media item 63152 View media item 63153 View media item 63154 View media item 63155 View media item 63173

Sponsored Links
I know nowt but from the photo of the chimney, it would appear there is NO lead used. He's used sticky-patch flashing that will peel off before the month is out. The chimney flashing should be bedded into the mortar lines.

Tell him to get back on his horse.

The batten guages are all over the place and have even cut the top course.

The bonding gutter should be closed in.

The perp lines in the coursing are all over the place.

Flashband slapped on around the chimney wont last a winter.

Blockend hip tile fixed with expanding foam.

Rear valley looks like a dogs dinner.

Tiles not clipped.

Its good practice to protect your property and cover your attic floor before commencing stripping the roof, removing all rubbish and clearing up is par for the course.

Gutters running into neighbours property....lack of brackets.

It needs stripped and re-laid properly.

The jobs not worth a penny.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for your comments so far...
huh hmm...Sorry about that morning cuppa!

It certainly is a dogs dinner, Its good to be able to gather additional opinions for his return.

I hope he is as shocked by the work that the hired help has done as much as Me and the rest of you.

It's not worth a penny....
Then that's good he hasn'nt received one penny as of yet and until it's stripped and sorted he won't!

Thanks again, keep them coming.

They don,t have the qualifications/experience to be doing that work obviously, unfortunately that work is so bad I would have little confidence in them correcting it.

They don,t have the qualifications/experience to be doing that work obviously, unfortunately that work is so bad I would have little confidence in them correcting it.

Couldnt agree more! though the contractor must be given a chance to rectify his work.

@ Bazpots,

The work is blatantly substandard and the pro's on here are limited on the advice they can give from a few pictures.
Would suggest you get a proper professional survey carried out which will determine exactly the remedial works required to rectify your mums roof.

I have never been on a roof in my life, but I am confident I could do a far better job than that.........appalling! I would agree that the whole thing needs redoing.

I`ve just noticed the "new" roof oversails the area of wall that is a different colour - is that a neighbour`s house ? So add trespass to the list :eek:

@Xenon - It certainly is criminal if the Boss doesn't hire some one competent to correct the work / or even do it himself if he can!

@ Nigel F - I hadn't even noticed that, you have good eye's. That neighbors house is council and they have only just put that new roof on they did all the council ones in the area. they have obviously removed and got rid of several of there tiles! thank you for noticing another problem.

@jay679 - I agree, and I don't even know you!

@Honda - Sadly I am hoping for a down poor the next day or so to show how bad it really is but fear it will cause untold damage inside. glad to have read that his liability insurance should cover any damage caused by the roof! and yes he does have it as it as the docs had to be supplied to mybuilder.com in order to be on there. Thank god!

I have some questions i will post shortly if you good people wouldn't mind as I don't understand some of the wording.

Thanks for your comments.

Ye gods - the paper boy is moonlighting as a roofer :eek:
It needs to be completely redone, and I hope your Mother doesn't freak out over this.
John :)

I could not even start to work out the number of substandard items. The work is just badly wrong. The things we can see are obvious, but equally concerning are those which we can't see.

The potential for leaks and longevity is clear, but I would expect that there has been no work to prevent the spread of fire at the party walls either.

Also, have the council's building control been involved and inspected? This work would require an application

When the guy comes for his money he will want paying, and he will probably make certain demands to get some money. What you should do is think about a response or prepare a written response.

The gist of it would be you are not happy with the whole job. You are not happy because you paid "x" amount of money, which is market rates for roofing work. You also expected (and it is implied into any contract) that the work is done by competent skilled people and to the basic relevant standard for roofing work.

If the guy does anything but accept the poor work and offer to put it right, then offer to instruct a local independent surveyor to inspect the roof and comment on the work - and you will both be bound by the findings. Whoever is wrong pays the fee.

Also if any disagreement starts, you should say that you not only think that the work is poor, but you are certain that no competent firm could do such a bad job unless it was with the sole intention to scam money - contrary to the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 (you need to explicitly mention this). On this basis, you think that your councils consumer protection team should be involved to see the work and examine the contract

The thing is, don't release any money for this job. State that if he does not accept that the work is roor and needs completely redoing, then you want to get expert opinion in terms of the work (surveyors) and the contract (consumer protection)

Even if he has someone return to do the work, then I would still insist on using an independent surveyor to inspect the work as it progresses - cost to be paid for by the roofing company.

Don't forget to leave comment on my builder and link to the pictures

Also, have the council's building control been involved and inspected? This work would require an application

Is that strictly true? Surely applies only if the new covering is substantially different in weight to the old?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back