Roof Disaster

The 25% rule for thermal elements.

In reality, they would not do anything and may not even at the roof externally, but it could be used by the OP to put some pressure on the roofer

Sponsored Links
Also, have the council's building control been involved and inspected? This work would require an application

Is that strictly true? Surely applies only if the new covering is substantially different in weight to the old?

For "your" I refer to whoever contracted the "roofer"
Your work affects their building so they become an interested party and you would need their permission to proceed in order that they can ensure their building is not compromised - otherwise you become liable for subsequent or consequential loss.

@ ^woody^ and all who wish to reply.

@ ^woody^ Thank you for your comments they are very helpful.

I would say no work has been done after taking to the loft to view, though i do not know what should have been done, i do know that I can not only see daylight at the gully's which is going to leak water for sure, there is nothing that would appear to prevent the spread of fire.

The council as not been involved at all as far as i am aware, as my mothers house is privately owned but connecting to the neighbors house which is council should they have been informed and who's responsibility is that our's or the builders? We the consumer were unaware of this.

We have not payed a penny, we were never asked for a penny upfront which made me presume that this guy was good enough at his job to do a good job, he had an injury to his hand which prevented him from doing any work therefore i presume he hired help and expected no problems to arise from it. This really isn't our problem because my mother hired him not the hired help he acquired true?

Offering to instruct a local independent surveyor is a very good idea, with the bill being payed by the person that is in the wrong, because to me it is obvious who will be paying that bill.

[Also if any disagreement starts, you should say that you not only think that the work is poor, but you are certain that no competent firm could do such a bad job unless it was with the sole intention to scam money - contrary to the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 (you need to explicitly mention this). On this basis, you think that your councils consumer protection team should be involved to see the work and examine the contract]

This is great advice, I think a written letter with it all in is the best solution because i'll never remember it! thank you for this.

I agree, very good advice to get a surveyor in to check the work even if he is willing to put it right without any arguments, it's just good practice after what has already happened!

I have not as of yet mentioned the man/company as of yet because I know how this could, well would destroy every ounce of a company's reputation. and I would not like to believe for one minute that when he returns from his holiday he is not going to be as horrified as I and my mother am. I will at least give him the opportunity to rectify the work under the supervision of a surveyor.

Once again thanks for your time in replying to this post.

A quick question I need to email him for when he returns so will be sending a bit of an essay, also stating that I have had to research a little and obtain professional advice would any one mind if I linked to this thread in order for him to take in the seriousness of the situation from the comments from everyone here?
[/quote]

Its an internet forum and anyone can link to this thread!

Keep us informed.

Sponsored Links
@jackrae

Just to clear that up, he would be responsible to contact the council and inform them not me or my mother?

Thanks

I would not link to this thread, as its just a forum with lots of opinions. I can't see any value in it.

For building control (that is, the council as the authority for enforcing building regulations. and not the council as the housing authority and owner of the council house next door) then it is the homeowners duty to apply and comply with building regulations where necessary.

But there is a duty for any contractor to advise their clients when the building regulations will or may apply. The inference is that if a contractor fails to advise, then they are not competent and become responsible for any costs (if you sued them) for any losses the homeowner may incur as a result of not applying and correcting non-compliant work

@^woody^

thanks, we were not even aware of needing to contact the council for permission. This is something that the contractor never even mentioned.

@ all
On reflection, i think it's probably not a good idea linking to this forum but using all the very useful and insightful information to build the email and letter that I would like to present to him when we meet on his return.

A couple of questions....
At this point is it recommended to contact the council building regulatory authority to explain the situation.

Do you think it would be a good idea to search for and contact a local independent surveyor to explain the situation and request a quote as what ever the outcome is even if he say's he is going to put it right I would like a surveyor to say yes that is fine and acceptable even if we ended up footing the bill!

Thanks all, please see another photo i forgot to add initially showing the join at the back of the house. If you can see via album there is comments about each section.

@ tony1851
Why not, it looks to me that this should have all been done before they even started work. My mother was not informed, surely we are not to blame! why the three no's please explain?

@all
No one has mentioned the fact that the whole roof was replaced with just one scaffold tower at the back of the house surely lack of sufficient platform is not only illegal but one of the reasons for not being able to do a job properly!?

This isn't normal practice is it?

@ tony1851
Why not, it looks to me that this should have all been done before they even started work. My mother was not informed, surely we are not to blame! why the three no's please explain?

First rule of building: - don't involve Building Control if you've already done the work.

They will charge you a packet for the satisfaction of crawling all over your work to find something - anything - that might possibly not comply with this or that regulation. For goodness sake, don't contribute to the inspector's fun and pension fund at the expense of your own.

If you don't believe me, go ahead and make that retrospective application,
and then post here again in a couple of weeks time asking for help to get out of whatever it is they expect you to do.

@tony1851

Thank you for your comments, it sounds like sound advice. my mother really shouldn't even have to deal with such problems, this should all have been pointed out by the firm that did the roof before starting as mentioned earlier by others.

@Alastairreid

When you say the bonding gutter. Are you refering to the gutter that they put in where they join with the neighbors house it's clearly left open?

What do you mean when you refer to the perp lines being all over the place, what are perp lines?

You also mention tiles are not clipped, which tiles should be clipped and how is this done?

I have noticed that the ridge tiles are not clipped properly is this the only thing holding them in place.

This house is in an area that is prone to very windy weather being on the edge of the coastline only last winter were several lamp posts actually blown over due to high winds surely without sufficient clipping this is a disaster waiting to happen?

The channel separating both roofs is the bonding gutter which should be closed.

The perp lines are the joins in the tiles which should run straight and true from eave to ridge.

At a minimum all tiles around the perimiter of the roof should be clipped ie eaves, verges and the tiles running up the bonding gutter which are evidently not. As you are in an exposed area i would have clipped every tile.

The ridge and hip tiles are held in position by a clip and screw between each join. if they are not screwed home the ridge/hip tiles will come off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back