Roof Disaster

the work is substandard and needs re doing building control would have a field day
The contractor should be prosecuted for impersonating a roofer its company's like this that give real roofers a bad name ye ha ! springs to mind!

Sponsored Links
@Mw Roofing, Thanks...I'm convinced it will get sorted just might cost more than previously expected and it's definitely going to be a little stressful without a doubt!

@Birminghamroofer, there's no stables on my land for these cowboys!

UPDATE.....

Thee week is passing quickly and the Boss, who we hired to do the job is due back on Friday. I have now drafted a letter and sent it to the address that was on the invoice that is presuming it actually exists.

After speaking with my mum the victim, who is way to forgiving and kind hearted but then isn't all our mothers! I have first off simply put in the letter that we are very disappointed by the quality of the work and we are convinced you will be also on your return.

I then stated exactly what a new roof should do, what is expected i believe it was taken from the adviceguide.or.uk website. the continued to point out all the problems with the roof that I have gathered from the help of you good people here at DIYnot.com so thank you to all of you for your input, it has helped me to understand the technicalities that need addressing and helped me to use correct wording to explain it.

I have requested that he meet with me on Saturday morning to discuss the way forward.

Basically form all your advice i can't see anything other than having to removed it all and have it redone by a more competent person. Himself or other hired help up to the gob.

there is only one of two other quick questions to ask. It has been mentioned that they have even cut in the top layer! This is bad because?

I'm thinking that the tiles have a pointy out bit at the top that sits to the baton stopping the tile from falling down and I correct, and is it the bottom layer that should be cut? I would be grateful if someone could explain the importance of this to me please.

Also the baton gauges are out as mentioned previously is this just a cosmetic issue where by it does't look so good, or does it have far more important meaning?

Thanks again in advance for any helping, getting this sorted.

Aesthetics are one thing in setting a roof out properly! the other is getting the batten guages set so the tiles have the cover dictated by the type of tile and pitch of the roof.

Setting the guage too high results in inadequate headlap...too little and the tiles wont sit right.

Yours look stretched.

There's never any need to cut a concrete tile if the roof is set out properly.

The tech term is a short course.This is what has happened to the top course of tiles.
The said roofer has not tried it up from eaves level to the ridge tree to get a equal batten spacing.

The short tile course will have had the nail holes and nibs cut off
Either a new hole will have been drilled or a slit with a sthil saw to accept a nail
The sand strip on the bonding gutter should not be seen
We use dry valleys now as a bonding gutter as it has a much better appearance and finish
That job was not done by a pro roofer..

Sponsored Links
@xfr When you say the sand part of a bonding gutter should not be seen, does that mean that the tiles from each roof should join with the boding gutter either side. If not what is the correct way to not show the sand strip?

Could someone please explain what has to be done to meet regulations by stopping the spread of fire?

should there be something done from the roof to the internal wall, I don't quite understand.

Thanks

The bottom hip tile is a proper block end hip for a dry fix system. The others appear to be half round ridges instead of third round hips hence the difference in size and appearance.

*****************UPDATE*****************

The Boss is home from his break and not at all happy with what he has seen, I have only quickly spoke as I didn't have time to, until I meet with him tomorrow at 10AM.

He agrees to most that all the ridges need coming off and doing properly, he seems to think that it would be OK to just cement to tiles where he has inserted the valley with sand strip but from my understanding this should not be done, he needs to insert a proper bonding gutter with an inverted v and tile upto it either side. am I correct there?

He also seems to think that the batons are ok and do not need removing!

I disagree, from what everyone else has said. Is it appropriate to insist this is done?

I ask these questions because, he seems unhappy with what the lads have done while he was away and is very apologetic and so far polite about the whole situation, he has also offered to clean out the loft and re-insulate it. As he seems willing to correct what needs it I do not want to appear unreasonable about what I ask of him. I am going to create a list with all that I think is necessary and tick if he agrees or disagrees then keep a record of what alternatives he offers if he disapgrees such as the batons.

We will both have to sign it and both get to keep a copy, that way we will have a written agreement about when he is willing to fix and how.

Does this sound too harsh?....
Should I insist the work is removed back to the batons and reset....?

I would appreciate all comments what ever they are!

Thanks

Regardless off all the reasons which have been pointed out to you and because the guys who tiled the roof were not roofers i would not part with a penny till the roof was stripped and relaid properly.

Tiling a roof like yours properly is not inherently difficult or rocket science they have not even got the basics right!

The items hidden from view which you cannot scrutinize are just as relevent as the ones you can see, ie membrane, tile battens size and nailing, eave detailing, eave tiles clipped, hip tiles clipped (no evidence of that. ) batten guaging to allow for appropriate cover.

I appreciate it will be difficult for you to make these demands on the contractor who on the face of it seems to be pretty much compliant regarding your concerns.
Refixing the shabby hip and ridge detailing and putting new insulation in your attic does not detract from the fact that the roof in all probabilities has been installed incorrectly and with insufficient fixings in the most vulnerable areas ie hips (the cuttings have no clips which are evident from the ground) eaves and the bonding gutter.

I suggest you explain your concerns to the contractor and if he becomes belligerent employ the services of a surveyor.

Hi Alistair,

We met on Saturday, I listed all the know problems and questioned the boss about other concerns that are not visible. He was very apologetic and insisted most of what was there such as the chimney flashing etc was just to keep the water out while he was away and more materials was needed to finish the job. He insisted the back gulley wasn't supposed to be finished. He also couldnt understand what had happened with the expanda foam on the hip ends and joints.

He was insistent that the batons were properly gauged apart from the short course, he also said that that had to be done due to some boarding that was there. He claimed that all tiles had been drilled and nailed including the short course. He agreed to rectify all points apart from removing back to the batons and resetting as he insisted it was correct.

It was a difficult decision to make, my mother has had enough, i'm trying to sort it out whilst holding down two jobs and trying not to neglect my family to much. Therefore i decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and at least allow him to rectify the work. If it does not look like an eye sore or stick out like a sore thumb and everything lines up and I can not see any potential for leaks, If it serves it's purpose but doesn't win any awards I feel i will have to accept it, as after inquiring about surveyor costs and the whole legal costs let alone, mental and emotional costs that my mother will have to suffer, whilst still grieving my fathers recent untimely death. I just hope that he does a good job of rectifying it!

Your advice is good, and was duly noted and definitely would have been taken if only life was that simple, So it was not wasted and was appreciated!

In my business, everyday I see people who have payed thousands for work that doesn't stand up to the standards, that to the unknowing consumer looks fine, more importantly seems to serve it's purpose. When to the professional of that area of expertise it simply infuriates them to see such diabolical work! I guess it's good to know that there are still some real hearty tradesmen out there that take pride in their work.

Am I a fool, maybe for today I am! :(

No Baz you're doing the right thing as you have to take your mum into consideration!
If he puts lead in the chimney, tidies up the ridging, completes the tiling on your neighbours side on the back valley and closes in the bonding gutter at least it should be fit for purpose.

Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back