Roof Fascia Issue

T

tommytomtom

Hi, I've recently paid for some professionals to fix my rotten timbre fascia. I'm not particularly happy with the end result as it looks unfinished and not very pleasing on the eye, but also I'm concerned with the lack of top protection.

What I paid for was this as quoted in the estimate.

Material:
Fascia 250mm X4 £98.90
Cover-board 150mm X4 £84.83
Box End X2 £23.98
Poly-Top Nails X1 £8.99
Barge Finial X1 £2.49

So this is the finished work from the professionals:

WaabVtO.jpg

Now I'm certainly no expert but should there not be a top part to overlap the corner? It looks messy but more importantly looks exposed to the elements. I found a image of what I was expecting.

3UAZWlq.jpg

Can anyone shed some light on this? Such as what is that top part of the fascia actually called? I can't seem to find any information on google about it, only this image. Was this part included in the price from what I listed above ^? Or was this actually all I paid for? I should have done more research on what I was actually buying but the salesman was so convincing.

If it's not what I paid for. What would I need to to achieve that top fixing, like the name of the procedure, or part name itself? I may have to try and do this myself as I don't know if I can fork out the labour costs.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
:LOL: :LOL:
that looks bloody terrible.
i do hope this is a wind up?

if not i would be crying,i have never seen that before.

Should be a lead gutter there laid into a timber box section with the bargeboard over that.

The whole design is completely wrong as the angle of the roof is constantly running water into the bargeboards...horrendous.

The designs called a norfolk gable which is fine for a straight gable. Seen as yours is a raking verge a lead secret gutter should of been installed to channel the water down to the gutter. Which has already been suggested.

Sponsored Links
I thought my eyes were bad!!! Am I the only one that can see it has a lead gutter at the verge, you would have thought that the pvc. would have been tucked under the lead to stop the weather getting in.

It is the building design that has been poorly thought out and executed in the first place.

As said, because you have a raked angle at the gable as opposed to a 90 degree gable end, the roof run-off on the narrowing side means the water runs down the wall.

There should have been a lead gutter created to avoid this when the roof was originally built. Unfortunately an inexperienced placcy company has cobbled it as best as they can.

It is an unusual detail and one that only a fist full of dollars and an experienced sympathetic tradesman can resolve.

Must admit i've never seen a setup like that. So what was there before the new placcy fascias then?

What about renewing and extending lath, new undercloak and creating a new verge with some wider cut tiles and new fascia underneath? Or am I missing it completely?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back