Roof lantern under PD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys
Going through our single story rear extension under PD (6M), total covered area approx. 33SQM. I understand that max height for the roof under PD is 4M, we are thinking of getting a roof lantern (3Mx1.5M) installed. The lantern will sit on the flat roof without up stand so that part of the roof will be higher than 4M, do we need run this by Planning? I believe we would need BR approval but unsure if i need to involve Planning.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
If the lantern makes the overall height over 4m, the extension will not be permitted development, and would need an application for planning permission.

If the lantern makes the overall height over 4m, the extension will not be permitted development, and would need an application for planning permission.

Thanks Tony for your prompt response. When you say the lantern makes the overall height over 4m, believe you are not referring to the whole roof, just the area (2Mx1.5M) of the roof where the lantern will be installed?
cheers

To avoid having to apply for planning permission no part of the extension (including the top of the lantern) can be over 4m high.

Sponsored Links
To avoid having to apply for planning permission no part of the extension (including the top of the lantern) can be over 4m high.

That’s a bummer, right what’s the alternative(s)? Assuming there is one, if there a will 'usually' there is a way :).
Cheers

Είναι όλα ελληνικά για μένα

You could apply for planning permission (part retrospectively) for the extension with the lantern included. Assuming you have already gone through the correct procedure for the 6m extension, it would be difficult for them to turn it down on the basis that it is already part built and can be completed legally (without the lantern).

Alternatively, you could even approach planning now (although you would probably need to pay a fee and fill in a form) and ask the question of whether they would approve an application for planning permission for the whole thing, including the lantern.

Or the long way round - finish the extension then apply for planning permission just for the lantern. It would be very difficult for planning to object to it, assuming it would have no effect on the neighbours and would not be readily visible from public vantage points.

If you could accept obscure glass to any side facing parts of the lantern it may be possible to put the lantern in (AFTER the extension is fully completed) under permitted development as an alteration to the roof under Class B of the GPDO:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/2362/schedule/made

You need to check carefully though as this advice is given without any knowledge of the site and there may be factors which change the above!!

Actually
Eh (/ˈeɪ/ or /ˈɛ/) is a spoken interjection in English that is similar in meaning to "Excuse me," "Please repeat that"
so if you still cannot grasp what we are saying:

Please re-write your post so that we can actually understand what it is you are trying to say because your post made no sense.

You could apply for planning permission (part retrospectively) for the extension with the lantern included. Assuming you have already gone through the correct procedure for the 6m extension, it would be difficult for them to turn it down on the basis that it is already part built and can be completed legally (without the lantern).

Alternatively, you could even approach planning now (although you would probably need to pay a fee and fill in a form) and ask the question of whether they would approve an application for planning permission for the whole thing, including the lantern.

Or the long way round - finish the extension then apply for planning permission just for the lantern. It would be very difficult for planning to object to it, assuming it would have no effect on the neighbours and would not be readily visible from public vantage points.

If you could accept obscure glass to any side facing parts of the lantern it may be possible to put the lantern in (AFTER the extension is fully completed) under permitted development as an alteration to the roof under Class B of the GPDO:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/2362/schedule/made

You need to check carefully though as this advice is given without any knowledge of the site and there may be factors which change the above!!

Thanks for your response pedantician, really helpful, pleased to see that you understood my post.
Reponses like yours encourage us novice to come to this forum to seek help, wish others take a leaf out of this.
Once again many thanks for responding.

Oh mighty all powerful literary giant mandm65, at the risk of looking like BAS (and I'm a bit bored)

Please explain what this means?
can the roof be structured in a way that the bit where lantern needs to go is less than 4m high and the rest of the roof remains 4M high?
and please explain what this means?
I guess i need to have 4M high clearance to get my beloved pitched at the sides!

Because I have no idea what you are trying to say.

FMT, I believe he's asking us whether his roof design (which we've never seen) can be altered so that it has a dip, depression or is in some way lower in the region where he plans to install the lantern, such that the lantern is within the 4m limit. To me, that's called a rooflight, albeit a strangely shaped one

mandm65, what you need to understand about internet forums in general is that they have a diverse range of personalities present who all give up their time in some form or another to give advice on their own terms. Generally it is helpful to communicate accurately and clearly - some people are prepared to go to greater lengths to drag information out of a poster, others are not. There's often a commensurate relationship between the length of time a poster has been on a forum/postcount and, lets say, their eagerness to imagine all the possible scenarios a poster's vague wibblings might refer to. You'll note that pedantician is relatively new, keen and very helpful; he's answered questions you didn't even ask, or possibly knew you had. FMT is somewhat more seasoned and has undoubtedly suffered enough of stream of buffoons over the years that he's a little more cynical and prefers to help those who really help themselves

That said, we do operate a full refunds policy here at diynot; you're entitled to a return of every penny you've paid for any advice if you're not totally happy with it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back