Roof over porch construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

Want to put a pitched roof over my porch and continue along the garage (as pictured)

Question is what size timbers do I need to use. Will have a 35deg pitch for small concrete tiles.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I will need 2 gallow type brackets, 1 for each side of the garage door to support the load. Was thinking of creating a ladder type platform which will be bolted to the wall and then sat on the brackets. The rafters will then be fixed to the bearer and the "platform"

Does this also sound good? Anything else I could put in to support the platform and stop it from possibly sagging?

Thanks in advance

IMG_0183.PNG IMG_3237.JPG

Sponsored Links
Correct me if I'm wrong but I will need 2 gallow type brackets, 1 for each side of the garage door to support the load.
Correct. Or build masonry pillars or use posts or bring the garage door and masonry forward. What's carrying the weight over the porch?

Was thinking of creating a ladder type platform which will be bolted to the wall and then sat on the brackets. The rafters will then be fixed to the bearer and the "platform"
No idea what this means.

5" x 2" will be fine.

Last edited:
If the roof overhang over the garage section is small then it is possible to sheath the rafter/joist in ply to prevent rotation. You are basically creating your own rigid trusses that would hang of your rafter and joist pitching plates.

Sponsored Links
Correct. Or build masonry pillars or use posts or bring the garage door and masonry forward. What's carrying the weight over the porch?

No idea what this means.

5" x 2" will be fine.

Thanks noseall, that really helps.

For the porch I was planning on bolting a new joist pole plate to the wall, and then the joists would be fixed to this and the wall plate over the end of the porch. The overhang shouldn't be big, so hoping it would hold the force against it. I was planning on putting 12mm ply underneath as it will be painted black

There's no space for a gallow bracket there, unless anyone has any ideas

Thanks

Last edited:
What I've done in the past to avoid a gallows bracket, is to make mono-trusses and secure these to the wall so as they can't rotate away from the wall. In nose's picture, that's a vertical timber to the right of the two poleplates to join the rafter and soffit timbers.

Obviously you need to assess if this is suitable for your situation, but it might be an option

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back