Roof Repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Could someone please give me a bit of advice on a roof repair - searching has not revealed an exact answer.

The roof is pitched, felted and has Marley Modern Tiles - half way up one side, where the felt goes over the last rafter and over the gable end, the felt has split and dropped open over about 1 mtr - tearing vertically over two widths of the felt.

To repair, should I stick to a similar old type felt or use one of the more modern non breathable plastics?
When fitting the new felt how much overlap should I allow ? eg the damage is over two widths and just one rafter - do I repair to just the next rafter and overlay a foot or so - or extend and overlay to a second rafter ?

I will have to lift the verge tiles, and as some of the pointing is getting rather worn, I was considering using the black plastic verge covers.
They seem to be the way to go - but wondered if sticking to traditional pointing was still a better bet. Don't know if there is any downsides to the plastic covers?

Many thanks

Richard :confused:

Sponsored Links
Richard,

The main purpose of underlay is to reduce wind loadings on the tiles, it also acts as a secondary watershedding layer for wind driven rain or snow or if damage occurs to the tiles.

To repair your felt just patch with other felt or duct tape.

With regards to the verge, the Dry Verge system is a good product but will be difficult to retrofit as the battens need to project 50mm past the gable wall or bargeboard, whereas with your bedded verge they are cut flush.

If you did want to fit the Dry Verge you would have to strip back about 2 metres of tiling back from the verge to install longer lengths of batten (over min 3 rafters).

IMO it's not worth the effort and cost (you'd need scaffold)

However.........

Looking here it would seem that they make a Refurbishment Kit for exactly your situation.

I've never seen or used it so have got no advice.

Hi Roofer,

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I cannot repair with tape etc as the 1 mtr tear is where the two rows of felt go over the end rafter and gable end wall.

Even if I could pull the 25 year old felt taught I don't think I would have enough solid felt to nail over the end rafter.

So I think a new piece is needed - which I know means lifting the battens etc - but how much overlap should I give ?

Thanks

Richard

Sponsored Links
If it's not leaking why bother? Roofing felt is a latter day idea. We lived hundreds of years without it.

joe

Just looking at fitting these dry verge (endcaps) after fitting the top ridge 6 months ago - Really easy even for an amateur like me.... but now I have just read above that to fit these on the end of my roof to tidy things up I will have to replace the batons I replaced 6 months ago to make them protrude 50mm !!!
Surely if I run a baton from the apex down to the gutter I can get away with fixing these up this way ???
Otherwise its going to prove a costly finish....as per usual.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back