roof repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently got 2 broken (cement fibre) slates replaced on my extension roof. The guys were here for 15 minutes, used slates I provided, access was easy, there was no visit to give an estimate beforehand (my agreement) and their depot is about 1 mile away (SE London). I was charged 90 quid. He did tell me the price beforehand, but I didn't think it would take only 15 minutes.

I queried the bill with the firm later, but they wouldn't budge.

Was I done ?

Jintray

Sponsored Links
No, you could always have done it yourself.

No. People don't realise the costs involved these days are phenomenal. You need to charge a certain amount regardless of time for each job.

And how long would it of taken you? 90 quids worth of your time?

Sponsored Links
Seems reasonable to me. How did you get in contact with them? Was it via a yellow pages ad, a magazine ad or from the internet via their website? All these things aren't cheap. Did they come in a van with ladders, access equipment and tools? That van will run on diesel or petrol and may have signwriting on. Almost certainly and again, not cheap. They probably have public liability insurance, office staff, admin costs. People do not realise how expensive running a business is. When you think about it, in London that was very cheap.

And how long would it of taken you? 90 quids worth of your time?

Yes. But no where near £1.2's worth of surveying, had a nice pay day ;)

Joe90.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back