Roof Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Last night we had some heavy rain and I noticed that above our bedroom window, when the rain hits a certain section of tiles they are making a popping noise. I was wondering what it could be and do I need to be worried. I'm sorry for the explanation but it is just like a popping noise that someone is there just popping bubble wrap that's the noise that when the rain is hitting, (obviously the heavier the rain the louder the popping noise is) does anyone know what it could be there's no wet patches on the ceiling (yet).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi Clucky.

Any chance you can get access into the space above?

I don't want you to stress, but it might be your wooden ceiling slats that were used back in the days, when ceilings were plastered over.

If there is a build up of water, and the plaster is soaking it up, and taking the weight, and it's becoming a larger than normal burden, then you'll hear the nails 'popping'. The nails that hold on the slats.

I'm not saying this is the reason, but worst case scenario it is? And you see the water just sitting there above the ceiling? See if you can locate the lowest point where the water has gathered, and simply make a hole in the ceiling, and let the water drain into a bucket.

I did this last year, and I managed to save the ceiling above my bay widow, simply by pushing a long screwdriver into the plaster, after I noticed water 'dripping' in.

Fingers crossed it just movement because of wind ...

image.jpg

Hi, Thanks for your comments but the ceiling and plaster seem bone dry, at the moment there is no sign of water but it definitely seems to be the noise is coming from the tiles on the outside of the roof, does this mean perhaps the noise is being created by loose tiles or ones working their way loose.

Sponsored Links
It could be so, but not as much as a popping sound. Hummm...

What roof type is it? Slates? Clay tiles?

Are you sure that it isn't rain drops striking some exposed felt or eaves material protruding beyond the tiles directly above the gutter?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back