roof tiling brick bond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi... I am tiling a pitched roof door canopy using plain tiles, I know about eave tiles and top tiles but can anyone tell me which tile is best to start off with, a tile and a half or half a tile each end and do I start on the verge or wall end, and if there are any cuts do i make the cuts on the wall end.
cheers
mickcoulson

Sponsored Links
Start with tile-and-a-half tile at the verge, and do any cutting at the wall abutment.
if I start with a tile and a half at the verge wont it look odd because the next tile up will be an ordinary tile and the tile and a half will show, please excuse my ignorance but should it be an eave tile and a half because the guy at the tilers yard only gave me ordinary sized eave tiles. :?:

Your eaves course will start with a full eaves tile. Your next course up will be a tile 'n' half.

There is no such thing as an eaves tile 'n' half unless you cut one from a standard size tile 'n' half

Sponsored Links
Your eaves course will start with a full eaves tile. Your next course up will be a tile 'n' half.

There is no such thing as an eaves tile 'n' half unless you cut one from a standard size tile 'n' half
forgive my ignorance again but will it look alright with a tile and a half showing on the first course. I have a row of eave tiles and then a row of full tiles on top of them brick bond including the tile and a half.

What's the difference between seeing it on the first course or the next one up?
because it looks bigger than the space between the normal tiles
Eh?

A tile 'n' half IS bigger than regular tiles.

However, the spacing between tile courses should be exactly the same, i.e 100mm.
can I start again... I am using plain tiles 10.5" x 6.5" the eaves tiles are 6.5" by 5.25" I lay a row of eaves tiles then I lay a row of normal tiles starting with 9.75" ( tile and a half ) then a 10.5" x 6.5" tile on top of the eaves tiles . when I lay my next row of tiles it will start with a 10.5" x 6.5" tile which when laid on top of the tile and a half will make a gap of 9.75" which will not match the rest of the gaps. i'm probably not making sense, so can you put me on the right footing. :(

As per Tonys' (brill) drawing, the eaves go beneath the first course and are fully covered by the first course, i.e. these are not visible.

RedVent-Eaves-Plain-CAD_01.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back