Roof window install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we had a 55x78cm Velux window fitted by a local roofer over the weekend in our ground floor extension, and I just want to get some opinions on what you think about the job.

Here's a pic of the outside:
roof_pic1_zpsa36ef076.jpg

And here's a pic of the inside:
roof_pic2_zpsae0074b6.jpg

It'd be great to get some feedback on the following if possible:

1. He hasn't tiled up to the edge of the flashing gutter, so you can see each piece of the metal flashing on the sides. Is this nothing to worry about, or is there a chance it will leak?

2. Another note on the flashing - the side flashing pokes out at the top, is this wrong?

3. If you look at the 2nd photo, you can see he hasn't doubled up the rafters. Does it matter given its such a small roof? (room is 2.4m x 2.2m)

4. While he was putting the window in he removed one of the joists, because he wanted to move a rafter across slightly. So now I'm thinking a) either we put it back roughly where it was, or b) we consider adding some wall plates and some additional raised joists, directly above the top of the window level so we can raise the ceiling (in the centre of the room only) and make it feel a bit bigger. I know it sounds complicated, but is it do-able do you think?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You wouldn't need to double the rafters each side of the Velux on that span.
Small possibility of some outward spread after removing the ceiling but probably not too much on that scale if rafters firmly fixed.
Is this being done to Building Regs? Min 125-150 Kingspan needed.
Flashing to Velux totally wrong.

Looks like the wrong flashing kit, should be a twin channelled kit with foam up stands.
Looks like he didn't want to do any cutting and used tile and halfs up the sides.
Makes you wonder if the back/top flashing is installed properly as the ridge haven't been disturbed much.

Has it rained since it was fitted.

Sponsored Links
You wouldn't need to double the rafters each side of the Velux on that span.
Small possibility of some outward spread after removing the ceiling but probably not too much on that scale if rafters firmly fixed.
Is this being done to Building Regs? Min 125-150 Kingspan needed.
Flashing to Velux totally wrong.

Thank you very much for your feedback on this. Having thought about it a bit more I think what we're going to do is just put the joist back next to where it was originally and then we'll build a flared light tunnel in the middle, tapering back to almost the other side of the room

This room is a small extension with 3 outside walls and the roof, so it gets very cold in the winter. Although I'm not going to be putting plasterboard on the rafters directly I was still thinking about putting in some Celotex, and then some roll-out insulation on top of the ceiling (and the plasterboard around the light tunnel too).

Hmm, do you mean the flashing itself is wrong or is it just fitted badly? It's the EDP flashing kit, I know that the first piece of the side-pieces is larger than the others (on both sides), so my first thought was - he's stuck the big bit at the top rather than the bottom, but I have no idea to be honest. Think it's worth calling someone else in to fix it?

Anyway, thanks again, much appreciated!

Looks like the wrong flashing kit, should be a twin channelled kit with foam up stands.
Looks like he didn't want to do any cutting and used tile and halfs up the sides.
Makes you wonder if the back/top flashing is installed properly as the ridge haven't been disturbed much.

Has it rained since it was fitted.

I *think* it's the right flashing kit. It's EDP which is supposedly for tiles up to 15mm thick, and our tiles are about 14.5 so it's close! I think the foam bit you're talking about is on the EDZ kits, but apparently the new(ish) EDP kit is preferred over these if the tile is 15mm or thinner. Not sure if anyone else can verify this? i'm just going on what i've found on Google to be honest :)

Yeah, I think you're right, I don't think he wanted to cut any tiles and was hoping he could make it easy with tile and a halves :unsure:

Not sure about the ridge, he said he needed to put some cement in because it was a squeeze to get the top flashing in to be fair.

No it has not rained yet (i'm kinda dreading it!). It was only fitted two days ago (Monday), so we'll see. I'm thinking of calling in someone else tomorrow to get a quote to fix the flashing & sort the tiles out on the left. I would call the same guy back to sort it out, but i'm not sure if it's a bit futile. If he thinks this is a good job already, then I'm not sure the next job would be any better - doh

Ok quick update on this - we're getting someone else in on Monday to patch up the flashing and the surrounding tiles. Fingers crossed it should be a lot tidier, will post another photo when it's done!

It is the correct flashing EDP .. however in the past EDZ was often used..

Tiles are poorly set out between wall and window.. generally messy but will keep normal rain out but not wind driven rain or snow

Hi guys,

The 2nd roofer came round yesterday as planned and has finished the patching job on the flashing, i'm really happy with it! Have a look and see what you think

NewRoofWindow_zps60c1baa4.jpg

:)

I'm making progress with the extended light tunnel too:

LightTunnel1_zps3dc2f908.jpg

Anyway, thanks again for the advice on the window, very much appreciated!

Here's a side-by-side pic which helps show the difference:

WindowBeforeAfter_zps53b541ff.jpg

The difference I think is the first guy did not have a grinder, or he just could not be bothered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back