Roof Woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a problem with my house - not a major one maybe, but a very annoying and stressful one-

We purchased the house 2 years ago and all was sweet apart from when the WIND started. Whenever it was moderately windy there would be some awful noises coming from our roof , a collection of rattles , bangs and sometimes some god awful bangs.

First port of call was the chimney stack and aerials. We replaced our aging aerial with a brand new one on heavy duty mountings - solid as a rock - . Went to bed thinking the noise was over , no chance, bang , clank , clank all night. Approached our neighbour , he cant hear anything WHAT!!!, its madly loud. Anyway we payed a call out of £45 to our aerial guys to look at his aerials and it turns out his are all really old and his UHF one was banging on the chimney stack - that came down - , he did not pay us back. Anyway we thought it would be well worth it and the stress lifted.
Went to bed that night , no massive banging but some rattling remains - Noooooooooooooooo!!.

Anyway short story I think it may be the slates on the roof lifting and rattling.
I would appreciate any advice ,and experience anyone has with a slate roof.

I enclose a few pictures :

1) The inside of our roof , annoyingly there is felt so no tiles are visible which would make identifying any bad ones much easier.

2,3,4) The roof from the outside. It looks ok to me , no missing slates , no loose slates or bowing etc , etc. However I am no expert.

Regarding inside , I notice in certain places the felt is bowing slightly and when pushed up , I hear mortar (debris) rolling down from the top. Is this the under pointing that has fell off ?. I am assuming it is.

Can this felt be removed and the roof under pointed to secure the tiles more. Next door have no felt.

Any help would be really appreciated - I dont know what to do next :

Thanks for reading

Chris

//media.diynot.com/65000_64685_7259_39777383_thumb.jpg

//media.diynot.com/65000_64685_7260_68248663_thumb.jpg

//media.diynot.com/65000_64685_7261_73487920_thumb.jpg

//media.diynot.com/65000_64685_7262_45609038_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
hello,

have you got any leaks in the loft?

It may not be as bad as you think. Are you sure it isn't something like a gutter or drain pipe moving?

anyhow get a few people down and don't necessarily believe the ones that tell you you'll need a new roof....

had one of those at my house, nowt wrong with roof. My roof on the inside looks like yours and i've been told by some that it has got a few years left.

i would suggest looking at your roof it is very unlikely the 18" x 12" slates are lifting... bloody strong wind... the noise you describe is it a rattle or a type of thumping?? your neighbour cant hear it... your issue may not be with the slate but the felt itself... wind blows throught the slate and 'rattles' the felt,, from below it sounds like a banging noise,, just see how loose your felt really is,,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back