Roofing advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking for some advice regarding some work we've had done removing a chimney stack on a terraced house.

Having removed the stack the roofer has left the roof tiles very uneven and full of gaps. When I've looked in the loft you can see that he's not bridged the gap in the timber but instead rested the tiles on the supporting wall (the wall between the two properties). This doesn't seem right to me but when I've challenged him his said it's 'what he does'.

Are there any experienced roofers on here who can advise as to whether or not this is standard, or even acceptable, practice.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Professional builders are availed on here.

What I would strongly suggest is, instead of saying, look this is what so and so are saying, you'll be better of in the long run, paying a few quid to a local trusted roofer to come down and show you what the correct way is. Independent advise goes a long way. That way you have peace of mind, where he knows you mean business.

Thanks for your reply Crystalclear.

It wasn't my intention to go back to the original roofer and say 'so-and-so on an internet forum says....'. I was just hoping for some idea of best practice before I decided on the next step.

Thanks anyway.

Why not post pics of the outside position and pics up from the loft below?

Given the info from your post, that the stack sat on a party wall, then are your tiles compatible with the neighbour's roofing tiles?

Your post raises a number of issues that pics would answer. Believe me, to do what appears to be a simple job, to do it properly requires a number of best practices.

Sponsored Links
Ree, thanks for your reply.

The original tiles are compatible but the new tiles used to fill the gap aren't (just found that out).

Just been up to the property now and the rain is coming in numerous places due the uneven tiles (no felt has been laid either).

I'll try and get some pics and upload.

The roofer should have felted (if there is felt in the rest of the roof) and then fitted laths across the gap to support the tiles.

The tiles should be even and with no gaps

Woody, yes, there's felt everywhere else.

It seems to me the problem is caused by resting the tiles on the uneven wall, which isn't level to the wall tiles, rather than taking the wall down to below the roof level, adding a piece of timber that could bridge the gap between the rafters and then run the lats off to both sides - the roof dips on our side and also on their side (it's an old property) so the new lats he's fitted sit like a see-saw on the wall. If there was timber bridging the rafter he could split the lats in to two and nail on, one side sloping down to our side and the other to our neighbours side. There'd still be a visible ridge but no where near the uneven finish there is now. However, I'm no roofer so it's probably not as simple as I've described which is my reason for coming on here.

Appreciate all your replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back