Roofing advice

Reaction score
Country
United States
hello all,
Recently We had a microburst in our little town and it blew a section of my shingled roof off. So I'm looking at a roofing job. The main part of the house is a gabled roof and about 1/3 of one side lifted up and folded over ( poor installation on the last job, not me) and there is a low pitch roof over the front porch garage and back deck ( all connected) The insurance is paying to replace all of the flat along with the one side of damaged shingles. I am planning on doing the job myself. I'm pretty handy, but have never done a roof.

My questions are. The flat part of the roof has a fully adhered rubber system installed with an insulator board underneath that not damaged, just simply wore out and seams are leaking. I was looking at the owens Corning deckseal system to re roof that section. Mainly because its self adhered and it looks like a process i can handle. Can i apply this roof system over the top of what is already there? or do i need to tear it all off?

Next question is: There is only one layer of shingle on the gabled roof, only 6 years old. it is my understanding that i can re shingle over that and have up to two layers total. Is that true? If i can roof over the shingles that are already there can i do that with a 1/3 of the roof that was damaged down to the felt? or do i need to strip off just that one side. or strip the whole thing.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Carson

Attachments

• File_000.jpeg
    File_000.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 128
  • File_001.jpeg
    File_001.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 93
  • File_002.jpeg
    File_002.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 115
Sponsored Links
Take what I'm going to say with a pinch of salt - you really need a professional opinion on site.

Given the state of the previous roof installation, both shingle and felt, I'd say that your best course of action is to tear everything (pitched & flat) off down to bare sheathing.
That way you remove faulty installation material & expose any water damage to sheathing etc.
You can shingle over a previous layer but in your case/location - dont. Unless professionally advised differently.

The join where the pitched roof shingles meet the flat roof felt needs the site view/opinion of a professional (licensed) roofer.
You can clearly see where liquid bitumen repairs have previously been attempted at the join area.
Without seeing the framing detail at that junction and not knowing the spans and pitches involved its difficult to advise.

If you are in a state prone to bursts of extreme weather then use, say, the Florida coastal roofing code as a guide to re-roofing. google also has a report on hurricane damage precautions.

By the way this is a UK forum FWIW. But you are most welcome, of course.

Thanks for your reply Vinn, I did not know this was a uk forum, but thanks for the advice anyway. The more I think about it I think I'll tear it all off. I was just trying to save some labor but I agree that I need to assess the damage underneath. And do he job correctly this time. I do have a couple friends that has previously worked as contractors in all areas of home building/remodeling. I think I'll try to get one or both of them for some additional advice. Thanks a lot for the tips. I appreciate it!
Carson.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back