Roofing books

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this is the wrong section, I'm not entirely sure what this falls under. My Dad's a joiner/carpenter, and often has to design roofs. He's had his roofing book since his apprenticeship 45 years ago, so it's tatty and falling to pieces. I want to buy him a new one, found this in Waterstones Goss's Roofing Ready Reckoner: Metric Cutting and Sizing Tables for Timber Roof Members, but I'm not sure it's the correct sort of thing? Electrics are my thing, joinery is his so I don't want to waste money buying him something that's not relevant!

I realise this isn't DIY related but I don't know who else to ask.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
hi... can i say, what a bizarre post.. you open up a pandoras box of (seeming) issues...

my first reaction is... the book seems fine... get him the book... if it aint right... hey,ho.

Maybe your dad could get himself a book?

maybe you could got to the publisher with the isbn? and get a copy...

i dunno, and i'm sorry, because maybe i aint being pc... but you post just sounded weird...

hi... can i say, what a bizarre post.. you open up a pandoras box of (seeming) issues...

my first reaction is... the book seems fine... get him the book... if it aint right... hey,ho.

Maybe your dad could get himself a book?

maybe you could got to the publisher with the isbn? and get a copy...

i dunno, and i'm sorry, because maybe i aint being pc... but you post just sounded weird...

My apologies, maybe I should have worded it better. I wanted to know if it's the appropriate book, if others use it etc, and whether it's correct for what he needs it for. I'm looking to get him it for his birthday, thought it'd be better than the usual bottle of whisky. I might try the ISBN option, though I doubt I'll get hold of a copy considering how old it is!

Thanks.

you don't have to apologise....

i reckon most books, if good enough, and still relevant will still be in print... you could try your local library, or don't amazon do a search in ISBN (or should that be ISDN?).

you also say it's a really old book, then isn't there a risk than some of the book's content is out of date? maybe a newer book with metric measurements is a better idea anyway?

Sponsored Links
you also say it's a really old book, then isn't there a risk than some of the book's content is out of date?

yes geometry has changed a lot since Pythagoras and the ancient greeks figured it all out

Bump.

Anyone any idea? The book is so old it doesn't have an ISBN number.

i dont think he would appreciate a metric one, search for imperial roofing ready reckoner and thats what you are after

i dont think he would appreciate a metric one, search for imperial roofing ready reckoner and thats what you are after

But is the 'roofing ready reckoner' series the right sort of book?

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back