roofing option

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys
Thinking of applying (PD) for the 6 meter single story rear extension. The house is end terraced so we have about 2M gap between us and next door from one side and obviously joined from the other.
The width of the house is approx. 8M, we want to leave the approx 2M gap to continue using the space as side entrance but would like to take the full 6M width making the proposed extension approximately 6x6M.
We were discussing the roof options as I would like to avoid the flat roof if I can but not clear if I could have some sort of pitched roof? I don’t mind if it’s a mixture of flat/pitched but not just flat.
Any idea what on my roofing options would be, or I have no option but to go for the flat roof?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
6m depth is likely to cause problems with a low pitch and/or a clash with the first floor windows as well as trying to get it under the 4m limit. Had you considered a zinc flat roof or a zinc roof that was a low pitched roof? Personally I like them, far more attractive than the usual flat roof suspects and not crazy money. Lifespan around 50 years too.

Anyway you gotta take a bottle of wine round to your immediate neighbours to butter them up first! :p

:eek: Wait a minute, you’re saying the build is underway and you’ve not already applied for this under the ‘neighbour consultation scheme’? :eek:

Sponsored Links
hold your horses mate, never meant to imply that build is underway. I am sure you suggested that i need to butter my neighbours up and i responded by saying that process has started :LOL: , did not mean to cause any confusion :oops: !

Ahh OK, that’s good, that’s a world of pain that some have inadvertently entered! :evil:

Just google zinc standing seam roof extension or similar. Not everyone’s cup of tea but I like them and they do eliminate all of the problems you are likely to encounter by doing a traditional pitch roof. There’s a guy on this forum who knows his zinc roof’s, //www.diynot.com/network/profile.php?user=hardmetalking you could PM him if you wanted to look further and/for a price, or look through some of his posts he’s spoken about costs before.

while i do search on type of roof (Zinc) i still need the answer to my original question.
Can i have pitched roof in my situation and if yes then what sort angle/slope council may/may not approve?
Cheers

How high are the first floor window cills off the ground level? Is the ground level? As it is this level that will determine if a tiled pitched roof will work or not. I would hazard you will be looking at a pitch of around 12-13° which really restricts you to flat roof materials rather than tiles or slates. If you keep within the Permitted development limits then it doesn’t matter what the council think.

Really you need to get drawing yourself to see what options are available, or employ someone to do it for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back