Roofing quote via text - Is it legally binding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I recently had a 'reputable' roofer round to give me a quote on repairs to ridge and hip tiles and couple of missing tiles on my roof.

He refused to give me a quote there and then and said he would contact me later.

He then sent a quote via text message later that evening. I asked him to send the quote through via email, but so far, I haven't heard anything. Not too sure he wants the job!

Does anyone know whether quotes via text are legally binding? (I have taken screen shots of it) or whether I should avoid this roofer like the plague??? :eek:

Sponsored Links
A verbal quote is legally binding if you accept it. The problem is proving it in the event of a later dispute.

Does the txt msg say it's a quote otherwise it might be held to be an estimate.

I give people quotes for repairs by text if I have to go and find a price for something first, I don't see your problem if he tries to charge you more then show him the text of the agreed price.

Sponsored Links
A quote is a quote, however it is said or written, or sent

The important thing would be to have some indication of what is included in the quote so that you don't get the "Oh, I never quoted for that" scenario

Get it itemised, and it wont matter if that itemisation comes by text too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back