roofing

P

pete121

I'm having a side extension built which is at early stages. Im a little concerned with design of the roof. Its a side extension to a semi detached house and the roof is designed to slope toward my neighbors house. Im a little worried the guttering will overhang into my neighbors garden.

i've raised the concern with builder, (hes doing brickwork & the roofing) and reckons its ok. Even though the foundations are dug right up to the neighbors garden boundary.

He says because he'll be building the walls up from the center of the foundation he'll have enough space to do the guttering with out overhanging into neighbors boundary.

The foundations are 600mm wide and the walls are cavity.

I have my doubts and worried incase i get into a dispute with neighbors, what should i do?
Is what he's saying right?

Or should i change the whole layout of the roof to a flat roof, with a pitch going to the rear of my house? That way i presume i wont be needing guttering on the boundary side.

Sponsored Links
Hi i had the same sort of extention your describing,you must have got planning permission for what your doing but your right the guttering must not over hang onto neighbours land.Surely your architect has designed it either to be built with this in mind and allowed enough space for you to be set back from the boundry so as not to let it overhang or as in my case the gutter sits on the very top off your wall and the roof to be set back cannot remember what they call it.A bit like a parrapit wall

Hi i had the same sort of extention your describing,you must have got planning permission for what your doing but your right the guttering must not over hang onto neighbours land.Surely your architect has designed it either to be built with this in mind and allowed enough space for you to be set back from the boundry so as not to let it overhang or as in my case the gutter sits on the very top off your wall and the roof to be set back cannot remember what they call it.A bit like a parrapit wall

The walls need to be at least 140mm back from the boundary to accommodate any eaves gutter and fascia

Alternatively the walls can be built closer or on the boundary and a box gutter (or recessed eaves gutter) is formed directly above the wall and the roof eaves set back accordingly

The builder should have planned for the eaves detail, and don't entertain any claims for extra costs if he has to adapt the eaves/roof when he gets to that stage

Sponsored Links
A typical eaves detail would consist of say 225mm soffit and fascia with another 120mm for the gutter.

So if you have not allowed for 345mm protrusion beyond the external wall then you will be trespassing on your neighbours land.

Thankyou very much for help guys.

I like the idea of buiding as close to the boundry as possible and would be intrested in the "box type" guttereing

I dont really want to comprimise on the space just for the guttering, especially as in the future im looking to extend on top this which would bring the guttering in line with the house roof resulting in the this "prior guttering space" being a waste.

Does this type of roof/guttering have any negatives compared with the standard overhang?
I would be taking this up with the builder but would be excellent to have some opionions and advice. Thankyou

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back