Room sealed wood burner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking about building an extension and I'd like to have a wood burner in it. However I have read that to have a wood burner you basically need a hole in your wall to allow fresh air into the room for the fire. I was wondering if there was such a thing as a 'room sealed' wood burner which does not require such a hole and insted the air comes directly into the fire from outside without causing a cold draft in the room.

Sponsored Links
any wood burning stove over 5kw needs a permenent open vent in the room.when you come to fit the fire make sure you use a hetas regestered installer or go through building control.or your house insurance will be void

The Burley new range of T3 Technology stoves are room sealed and DO NOT require a permanent vent. Excellent news for someone like me trying to draft seal an old house!

Don't work for/own Burley new range of T3 Technology by any chance do you :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Nope absolutely not- I'm a full time mum with enough time on my hands to research these things. I am however struggling to find anyone stocking a Burley stove so I can view one before I buy- I think they are new on the market, but I like the sound of all their blurb.

Sorry if I misjudged, looked suspicious ;) . Are you sure about the no vent requirement? bryanpar is correct about the 5Kw rating for conventional flues & how would you get getting sufficient draught on a stove with conventional flue if no natural ventillation to allow air into the room; or is this a balanced flue system? Have you got any links?

To room seal it, an external air vent must be drilled through a wall to feed the fire. Makes perfect sense if you think about it, instead of drawing air from the room (that you've already paid to heat) to go up the chimney, it draws air from outside.
From Burley website:

"British Standards dictate that any room with a stove rated greater than 5kW must have an air vent fitted. With the room sealing kit fitted to the T3 stove, you do NOT need to fit a vent in the room—conserving yet more energy."

Interesting, will have a browse; thanks for the links ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back