room stat wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my horstman dtr1 room stats, battery type, have a 2 core wire
the cores are brown and black and the sheathing looks like T+E grey
i am resiting/replacing one and ask if you can say what this wiring is and if i can use optional two core different colours wiring with different sheathing...ie more flexible.

the house is around 7 years old.
i have the new horstmann dtr1 ready to fit

help would be appreciated

cheers
geof

Sponsored Links
Well, you have spelt DRT1 wrong but anyway -

I am not really sure what you are asking.
You can use any suitable cable you wish.

Do you mean you want to replace the cable at the thermostat position because it is brown and black?
There may be a grey wire hidden away.

Well, you have spelt DRT1 wrong but anyway -

I am not really sure what you are asking.
You can use any suitable cable you wish.

Do you mean you want to replace the cable at the thermostat position because it is brown and black?
There may be a grey wire hidden away.

sorry about the misperring..:oops: :oops:

yes i have a new DRT1 and am fitting it in a room which backs onto the boiler room
i have picked up the live source which connects to other 2 DRT1's in the house...

i will drop a cable/2wire from the new DRT1 to pick up the live in the terminal block and via the stat to the correct actuator...which will be for the kitchen floor circuit

there are 3 actuators and 3 room circuits and two stats at present!!

for some reason two of the actuators were wired to one room stat so that the dining room and living room came on together via the dining room stat and the kitchen came on via the living room stat...??
why i dont know
i guess there wasnt it seems to have been enough room on the block connector...so i will add a connector in a separate wall box next to the main one, for this extra stat..

the existing cable from the other DRT1's i have ascertained are grey pvc with a brown and a black wire to supply/cut the live to the actuator via the DRT1's operation

i can see cable available in my local depot which is grey pvc but the wires are blue and brown..

i am asking if there is a colour code i should be following....the brown will and is the live
the existing blacks are the feed to the other two actuators

BIG THANKS FOR AN ANSWER...:)

cheers
geof

i will drop a cable/2wire from the new DRT1 to pick up the live in the terminal block and via the stat to the correct actuator...which will be for the kitchen floor circuit
When you say two-wire - you must use 2core+earth (or 3core flex) even though the earth may not be required for the thermostat.

the existing cable from the other DRT1's i have ascertained are grey pvc with a brown and a black wire to supply/cut the live to the actuator via the DRT1's operation
Brown, black and grey are the colours of 3core+E which is why I said there might be a grey you have not noticed.

i can see cable available in my local depot which is grey pvc but the wires are blue and brown..
That is the colour of 2core+E.

i am asking if there is a colour code i should be following....the brown will and is the live
These blacks (or the blue) should be sleeved brown to signify they are line(live) conductors.

Sponsored Links

When you say two-wire - you must use 2core+earth (or 3core flex) even though the earth may not be required for the thermostat.

**thanks..i wondered about that...i guess i should just block the earths or cut them back to the grey

**QUITE!!! the installers ran out of ways on the terminal block and wired two room circuits together...the problem then was....they used the living room stat to control the kitchen and wired the kitchen and dining room together on the dining room stat....that is why i have reconnected them properly and fitted the necessary kitchen stat

Brown, black and grey are the colours of 3core+E which is why I said there might be a grey you have not noticed.

**sorry i take your point now...i guess the grey is folded back in the stud wall and only the black and brown brought through to the terminal block

That is the colour of 2core+E.
**cheers

These blacks (or the blue) should be sleeved brown to signify they are line(live) conductors.

**brillant point ..one i hadnt condsidered by you are right...brown it is!!

BIG THANKS AGAIN...I ALWAYS GET COMPREHENSIVE HELP HERE
:)

thanks again for help

i took one of the room thermostats off the wall to check the cable it used and it indeed has a grey and an earth along with the brown and black
the grey is unused and folded back into the cavity, the earth is sleeved and crimped over at the end.

77892.jpg

cheers
geof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back