Room Thermostat Choice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This has probably been done to death on these forums over the years but i just need a quick answer if possible as to which Room Thermostat i should buy to go with my new Vaillant 832 Combi Boiler, I have only just started looking as to which one to get and the choice is overwhelming i dont need programmable as i have the Vaillant 160 Timeswitch fitted to the boiler that takes care of times etc i just want something reliable that does the job day in day out without any problems, Im presuming Honeywell, Drayton, Danfoss are the main ones i should be looking at but do i go wired or wireless, im presuming wired is the better option but will be guided by people on here that work with these day in day out.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
honeywell dt90e basic simple and accurate

What stat have you already got? I have a Tado and it's excellent, looks nice and clean / minimalistic, and has a low cost of entry. However I had an existing analogue wall dial stat in the hallway that was a straight swap, so I didn't have to pay anyone to come and install it.

When I got mine you could rent them for something like a fiver per month.

Not sure if it can do zones yet, so you'd also have to bear that in mind. But, it's got excellent geofencing capabilities and will track your location from your phone's GPS, altering the heating behaviour accordingly.

Thoroughly recommend, though again subject to what you want in terms of looks, upgradability, and existing thermostat.

Sponsored Links
Vaillant vSmart or a VR470 will pair best with your boiler and should increase efficiency as well, otherwise if you really do just want a thermostat then a Honeywell DT90

Last edited:
Vaillant vSmart or a VR470 will pair best with your boiler and should increase efficiency as well, otherwise if you really do just want a thermostat then a Honeywell DT90

I have been looking at the Honeywell DT90 and i very nearly plumped for one but i have been reading about the effectiveness about TPI which i believe these stats have and you cant turn off unlike some of the Drayton models, i presumed all stats where pretty much the same until i started digging around i just want a reliable and consistent stat that wont give me any problems in a years time, on reading i think the TPI function may not be all its hyped up to be so may best be avoided if possible.

Why? TPI increases efficiency, thereby reducing gas consumption, and provides more accurate control of room temperature. I can't imagine why you wouldn't want that...

I'll be the first to admit i have probably been over reading it but i have read on a few forums about TPI being flawed and the boiler firing up every 5-10 mins to maintain an even temp sounds a bit much, its not that i dont want it its just sounds it might be a bit too critical, maybe im over complicating things i'll read some more.

I have read on a few forums about TPI being flawed and the boiler firing up every 5-10 mins to maintain an even temp sounds a bit much
I have had a Honeywell TPI thermostat (CM927) for nine years and have never noticed it firing the boiler every 5-10 minutes. In fact it can go for a very long time between fires. All I can conclude is that those who do experience frequent firing have poor insulation, so the temperature drops fairly quickly, making boiler firing necessary.

Although these stats have a cycle rate parameter, which is just the initial setting. It can be reduced by the logic of the thermostat. See pages 48 & 49 of the pdf below.

Attachments

• CM907.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 402

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back