Room Thermostat not controlling boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?:

I have just bought a property and was trying the central heating this morning and turned the dial on the room thermostat down to 10 degrees only to find that the boiler kept on working and not cutting out. It is a combi boiler (Cime 100C I think)

Would anyone know why this is happening and what to do to correct this?

Thank you very much

Richard

Sponsored Links
This may appear obvious, but in my property this was exactly the same, no matter what the thermostat was set to the boiler carried on, yes it was this simple, the thermostat was not connected to the boiler at all!!!!!

When I checked it there was mains power to the thermostat, wether the boiler was on or off and on further investigation it was a spur from the lighting circuit and where it went I will never know, an over excited electrician connecting up the lighting circuit must have seen the cable and being the same as the lights connected it up.

So if your thermostat doesn't turn off the boiler, first check it is even connected!

As I am completely new to this and I don't want to damage the thermostat (it does 'click' at two points) how would I gain access to see if the thermostat to see if it is connected, and should I get a professional in to do it (electrician or plumber?)

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but I am slowly learning what to do with things around the house.

Thank you

Richard

As I am completely new to this and I don't want to damage the thermostat (it does 'click' at two points) how would I gain access to see if the thermostat is connected, and should I get a professional in to do it (electrician or plumber?)

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but I am slowly learning what to do with things around the house.

Thank you

Richard

Sponsored Links
richingram said:
As I am completely new to this and I don't want to damage the thermostat (it does 'click' at two points) how would I gain access to see if the thermostat is connected, and should I get a professional in to do it (electrician or plumber?)

Thank you

Richard

if your are not 100% happy with doing somethind dont do it

get a heating engineer recommended to you to sort it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back